Menu

MUS and Standardized Testing

I'm almost ready to switch to MUS but I have one hesitation. Should I be concerned that, since they mostly focus on one operation per year, it would negatively affect my daughter's performance on the standardized testing we do each spring. (We test for the state of Virginia.)

Thanks for any help!

I'm almost ready to switch to MUS but I have one hesitation. Should I be concerned that, since they mostly focus on one operation per year, it would negatively affect my daughter's performance on the standardized testing we do each spring. (We test for the state of Virginia.)

Thanks for any help!

There is integrated review. For some that is enough.

I think the real question is whether or not your dc will benefit from the mastery approach as a student, as opposed to a test-taker. Some dc will, others not, and that is what will truly affect test scores -- understanding.

You'll get both sides of the spectrum in response to your original question, though....every household's mileage will vary :)

This is great to hear. Thank you.

I switched my oldest from Horizons to MUS this past school year, his 4th grade. He was in Horizons 4 (and had used Horizons for 3 years). I backed him up to MUS Gamma (~3rd), which took him half the year, then he moved into Delta (~4th), he had about 1/2 the book completed when he tested in March. His scores went up 3+ grade levels in math on the ITBS from the same time, same test type last year.

I hestitated because of hearing mastery programs are not good for standarized test scores, but I simply have not had that experience.

My friend did experience this with her son. His scores were lower then she would have liked, but it was not that big of a deal because he was still well above the minimum percentage. I think there is more than enough "room" in the score window if this is the curriculum that you want. I do know others who use MUS and they have never said that it was an issue. You can always do a test prep at the end of the year if you are really worried about it.

I live in a state that does not test (so grateful!) so I have not had to worry about it.

I used a practice test last year for my ds just to see how he would do with the questions. I was actually amazed at the ones he could figure out even though we had never covered that type of problem before. I think there is a lot to be said about truly understanding what you have learned and being able to use some logic to figure out something new.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

What grade do you have to start testing in? Sorry if you posted that but I missed it:blush: I think if it's going to negatively affect the test scores it would be during early elementary because they haven't been exposed to as many concepts. By the time they get to latter elementary that starts to even out. My kids have always tested very well but it's not mandatory for my state and they didn't begin testing until they were in 6th grade (my ISP requires it beginning in 6th grade but no test scores go to the state) so they were already beyond the age when it would be a concern.

We used MUS from K through Algebra. You may read my review here. Here is a bit about our test results:

Sometimes, people ask about testing. Here is my experience. When my son was about ½ way through Epsilon (5th grade), I had to have him evaluated due to state law. He took the Woodcock Johnson test (national test which only took 30 minutes total), and the results were startling. His math calculation came out upper 8th grade and his math reasoning came out mid 9th grade! It took me a while to understand this. It does not mean that he is doing 8th/9th grade math work. It means that my son, working at 5.5 grade level, does as well as the average 8th/9th grader. When he was ½ way through Zeta (6th grade), he took the Kaufman Test of Educational Achievement and scored post high school in math. After MUS Pre-Algebra, he scored 11.4 on the math total of the ITBS.

We start testing in 1st grade.

What grade do you have to start testing in? Sorry if you posted that but I missed it:blush: I think if it's going to negatively affect the test scores it would be during early elementary because they haven't been exposed to as many concepts. By the time they get to latter elementary that starts to even out. My kids have always tested very well but it's not mandatory for my state and they didn't begin testing until they were in 6th grade (my ISP requires it beginning in 6th grade but no test scores go to the state) so they were already beyond the age when it would be a concern.