Menu

Homeschool Group Conduct Statement

Our homeschool group wants to add something to the bylaws and/or registration about expectations on conduct.

Background: We serve mostly US military families stationed overseas. As such, we are very much under scrutiny. We represent homeschooling to the base community and represent both homeschooling and the US when we do fieldtrips out in town.

We wanted to add some kind of reminder/clarification that even on group outings, parents remain responsible for their children's conduct (ie, it's not the field trip leader's problem to control kids).

Anyone want to take a stab at phrasing this in a way that gets the point across in a gentle, positive way? (I'm not know for my gentle, positive personality.)

Isn't this a given? Seriously? lol. You'd think parents would already know that they are responsible for their child's conduct, wherever they are!

But if it must be added, then I would think a simple, straightforward line saying just that would be all that is needed:

"Parents, remember, you are responsible for your child's conduct at all group gatherings, including field trips. It is not the field trip leader's responsibility."

It depends:

If you are a registered private organization, it is something that you put into your by-laws, and they have to agree to it when they sign up due to insurance reasons.

If you aren't, then you simply have them sign an agreement that says they agree that they (and no one else) is responsible for their children.

a

It depends:

If you are a registered private organization, it is something that you put into your by-laws, and they have to agree to it when they sign up due to insurance reasons.

Sounds like you are registering as a PO, since you mention bylaws? I agree with asta. It doesn't have to be nicely worded in the bylaws, it can be matter-of-fact. That should make it easier. Something like "children remain under the authority and control of their parents at all times."

It depends:

If you aren't, then you simply have them sign an agreement that says they agree that they (and no one else) is responsible for their children.

a

Yes, we are a registered private organization. In fact I stopped by the legal office with which we register to ask if they had any sample language and their main recommendation was to look on the internet.:001_rolleyes:

We noticed when we were reviewing the bylaws that the registration form was totally lacking in any liability waiver statement. In talking things over with legal, it seemed that what we were most wanting was a reminder that this is a support group, and that group leaders are not assuming custody of children during events.

Since there are so many groups on base (youth sports, youth center, MWR) where the parent drops the kid off and then the professional takes charge, we sort of wanted to underscore that our purpose is to be encouraging, not to take over teaching. A large number of our families are new to homeschooling, so I think it is worth clarifying.

We wanted to add some kind of reminder/clarification that even on group outings, parents remain responsible for their children's conduct (ie, it's not the field trip leader's problem to control kids).

When I'm at my other computer, I'll find a couple of links from groups with similar "contracts." On a personal note, I read the riot act to people who come on my field trips: I warn them all that yes, the parents are in charge, but if they don'[t act quickly enough, I will make the corrections, and I expect the parents to support me. Furthermore, if I have trouble consistently with any children (or parents, for that matter; sometimes the parents are so busy talking among themselves that they overpower the docent. Seriously.), I will not allow them to attend further field trips.

Anyone want to take a stab at phrasing this in a way that gets the point across in a gentle, positive way? (I'm not know for my gentle, positive personality.)

Sometimes, if you're too gentle and positive, people don't get it.:glare:

Ok...here's a Code of Conduct I found that might be what you're looking for.

Edited by Ellie

Whereas teachers are responsible for the conduct of their classrooms, parents are ultimately responsible for the attitudes and behaviors of their children during the co-op day and during all field trips or extracurricular activities.

This is a simple statement that we use in our co-op handbook. We stress this at meetings as well, since parents tend to forget regularly!

Here's ours

1. Please contact the event coordinator if you are unable to attend an event you have signed up for or volunteered to assist with.

2. Arrive on time. Be punctual as a courtesy to all involved.

3. Dress appropriately for the occasion.

4. Parents and children, please listen when someone is speaking to show consideration and respect.

5. Parents, please stay with your own children whenever possible. Parents are responsible for their children’s behavior and safety upon arrival and for the duration of the gathering. Delegate this responsibility to another parent if the group is divided.

6. Determine if younger children would be out of place at certain activities geared for older children. Certain events might dictate swapping younger children off with another family, or even foregoing attendance out of respect for others.

7. If children are disruptive, please excuse yourself from the group to handle the situation. The event coordinator has the responsibility to ask disruptive families to leave.

8. Only C**** members with a signed release form (see page 2) will be allowed to attend C**** activities.

These are ours. They are not in our by-laws, but every person who coordinates an activity or field trip sends these out to those who have signed up for their activity. Also, there are a separate set of etiquette guidelines that go out for fine art field trips (symphony, theater...). Hope this helps!

Parents: Please go over the following guidelines with your

children before participating in any field trips. Remember that

your family is representing **** We want to leave an

excellent impression wherever we go.

Students

• Be courteous and polite at all times.

• Respect others who are on the trip with you.

• Absolutely no teasing or name calling other children even if you have no ill-intentions.

• Stay with your parent or designated adult.

• Obey your parents/field trip guide at all times.

• Listen carefully to any instructors and instructions on the trip.

• Touch only when permitted.

• Be patient & wait your turn.

• Be thankful to those who helped on the field trip. Always say "thank you" to the person who led your tour.

Parents

• Discuss and rehearse good behavior for the trip you are taking. Don't presume that children know not to speak loudly or whisper

during a concert or play, or not touch priceless artwork, etc..

• Explain rules in advance and read any signs you find at the site you are visiting. Decide ahead of time on appropriate penalties

for rule violations.

• Please make sure your family is neat in appearance. (modest & clean clothes, clean hair, etc..)

• Be prompt. Arrive at least 15 min. early at field trip destination or designated meeting place.

• Watch your own children. Please be considerate of other people at all times. If you have a baby, toddler, or preschooler,

please be mindful of the child’s noise level at all times. If the child is causing a disturbance, please remove the child to an

appropriate area. Arrange with another adult to watch your child if you must attend to the needs of another child.

• Clean up areas that were used by your group.

• Follow-up with a thank you note or handmade token of gratitude.

If at any time leadership believes that a failure to abide by these guidelines is causing a disturbance, the offending party will be asked to leave.