Menu

How do you make ham in a crock pot?

I pat mine all over with a mixture of dark brown sugar, a pinch of dry mustard, and some freshly grated nutmeg. Then I wrap it in foil and let it roast in the crock pot all day on low.

There's always liquid in the crock pot, so I don't add any extra.

YES - at the very least, put water in the bottom to keep the sugars from burning to the side of your crockpot PLUS it puts moisture into the ham to make it extra yummy. Adding brown sugar, ginger ale, all a matter of preference - I never do. I was raised in pig country (Virginia) and I like my meat smoked so I only add water to my crockpot.

*MY* favorite part, keep the bone afterwards (if it you bought a ham with a bone) put it in cheese cloth with the extra fat, skin, etc. Put it in a pot and fill it with water, a whole onion cut up (if you don't want onion pieces in your soup, put the onion inside the cheese cloth), toss in some pepper (not much), maybe celery and bring to a boil. Let it simmer all night. The next day pull and pitch the cheese cloth, add the left over ham cut up and beans (I like navy or great northern, my mom likes lima), maybe some diced carrots and you have one yummy soup the next day.

Okay, so I am a little frugle and believe in using it all up. My hubby and our checkbook loves it! :)