Menu

Supplement with LOF--what does this look like?

Katja

I'm planning on starting my dd with MEP Y7 next fall and I'd like to supplement with LOF Pre-algebra book.

I haven't gotten the LOF yet, so maybe it will be easier to picture when I have the book in hand, but I'm having trouble getting a handle on how supplementing will (or should) look.

If you do this, could you walk me through it. Do you pick a day (say Wednesdays) and those are your LOF and not [other math curriculum] days? or do you integrate the time more than that?

Do you try and line up the topics so they match, or just use each sequentially and see where they go?

Do you try and split them up so you finish at the same time?

Any tips on what worked for you or what didn't?

We've used MUS only from Primer to Zeta so anything non-MUS is a big change for us and supplementing a sequential subject like math is a brand new concept for me--and one I really want to get right!

Thanks!

We are using LoF with MUS. I had plans of using LoF every Fri. but, as usual, my plans are not working out. What is happening in reality is whenever dd gets tired of doing MUS, she will do a few pages of LoF. This is a very relaxed way of doing it but it is working for us right now. :001_smile:

My dd is not at the Pre-Algebra level but she does LOF twice a week (usually T and TH) in addition to her regular math. She really enjoys it right now so its not a problem. I haven't planned, as of yet, for her to actually alternate one math over the other. We have our main math and use LOF a few times a week as an extra.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

We are using LOF with MUS. We do both daily, keeping LOF about a semester behind MUS so everything's introduced by MUS and expanded on/reviewed in LOF.

We are using Teaching Textbooks and LOF. This last year (starting in Jan.) she did one chapter per week. She did them on one of the 3 days we didn't have classes. So if we got busy with other projects on Tues. or Thurs., she definitely got it done on Fri. BUT...once she made it to a "bridge" (test), she had to do it everyday until she passed.

I don't try to line them up with TT lessons. This fall she will complete 2 per week.

hth :)

ETA: She does TT 4 days a week. So she does double up sometimes, (and she doesn't seem to mind at all).