Menu

Logic Help Needed

Whenever I'm trying to decide what to include in highschool level classes for my kids, I like to check out the course descriptions the state offers for their classes. Plus I was wondering if they even considered Logic a course. They do. And everything I had planned to do was included in their description until the end where they wrote,

* understand the different stylistic, thematic, and technical

qualities present in the literature of different cultures and

historical periods.

* analyze the relationships among author’s style, literary

form, and intended impact on the reader.

* examine a literary selection from several critical

perspectives.

I'm not sure I know how to handle this. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Stephanie

* understand the different stylistic, thematic, and technical

qualities present in the literature of different cultures and

historical periods.

* analyze the relationships among author’s style, literary

form, and intended impact on the reader.

* examine a literary selection from several critical

perspectives.

Hmmm. That seems like a lit class rather than logic. Did someone just throw that in there? :001_huh: Do you have to follow state course guidelines? And is this kind of analysis covered in your literature/English credit?

Lisa

No, we don't have to follow the guidelines but it makes me feel better about using their course numbers if we do or at least close enough as I feel is reasonable. It seems as if the colleges understand or appreciate those course numbers. :tongue_smilie: But, you know, I think you are right. We probably will hit on that sort of thing in Lit. As long as he understands that language is being used to sway your opinions or emotions and sees examples of that in literature as well as in newspapers and TV then we are probably good. I bet Mein Kampf would be a great example to use.

Good Morning!

Those are interesting points in your state's guidelines! One way that you could accomplish some of them in a non-fiction context is to have your student outline articles in various magazines that deal with current events (World, Time, The Economist, etc), looking for how the argument is presented, what is left out, etc. And you are right, Mein Kampf would be an outstanding book to read - lots of insight into Hitler's very scary thought process. As you read it, be sure to have a Bible close at hand to counteract the venom.

Blessings,

April