Menu

ADHD: Pesticides, Allergens? Interesting Article......

Do Pesticides and Allergens Cause ADHD?

Print Email[/url]More

fruit-pesticides-adhd-risk240wy062410.jpgBy Mary Beth Sammons

In the United States alone, an estimated 4.5 million children ages 5 to 17 have been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and rates of diagnosis have risen 3 percent a year between 1997 and 2006. Yet it is unclear what is causing this increase. New research is investigating many avenues. One of them is environmental factors such as pesticides and allergens.

In a study published in the journal Pediatrics, researchers studied 1,139 children ages 8 to 15. All of the children studied had measurable residue of pesticides commonly used on fruits and vegetables. Diet is a major source of pesticide exposure in children, according to the National Academy of Sciences, and much of this exposure comes from the common kid-friendly fruits and vegetables, such as blueberries, strawberries and celery. In a 2008 government report, detectable concentrations of malathion (a pesticide commonly used in agriculture, residential landscaping and mosquito abatement) were found in 28 percent of frozen blueberry samples, 25 percent of fresh strawberry samples and 19 percent of celery samples.

In the Pediatrics study, researchers found that for every tenfold increase in the urinary concentration of pesticide residue, there was a 35 percent increase in the chance that the child would develop ADHD. The effect was seen even in kids who had a very low level of detectable, above-average pesticide residue.

Unlike other studies of pesticidal impact, this one looked at the average exposure to pesticides in the general population of children and not at a specialized group such as children who live on farms, according to lead author Maryse Bouchard of the University of Montreal.

Because certain pesticides leave the body after three to six days, the presence of residue shows that exposure is likely constant, Bouchard said. The study found that children with the kind of metabolites left in the body after malathion exposure were 55 percent more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD. Almost universally, the study found detectable levels: The compounds turned up in the urine of 94 percent of the children. Children may be especially prone to the health risks of pesticides because they're still growing and may consume more pesticide residue than adults, relative to their body weight.

More research is needed to confirm the findings, says Bouchard. But the take-home message for parents, she says, is to give kids organic produce as much as you can and to wash fresh fruits and vegetables -- organic or not -- thoroughly.

An unpublished 2008 study out of Emory University found that in children who switched to organically grown fruits and vegetables, urine levels of pesticide compounds dropped to undetectable or close to undetectable levels.

Denver immunologist Dr. Isaac Melamed is studying another effect that may contribute to ADHD: the inflammation caused by all allergies including food, pollen and dust. In his unpublished study, he found that the inflammation caused by an allergic reaction may contribute to ADHD. Therefore, he says, by controlling a child's exposure to allergens, parents may be able to better control ADHD. Melamed says that although much more study needs to be done on this, in his private practice, he has controlled his patients' ADHD by limiting allergic triggers.

Remember that all of this research is in the very early stages and needs to be studied more thoroughly before it can be confirmed.

More on Allergies:

Allergy Medication Side Effects

Outdoor Allergy Triggers

FRUCTOSE is a big trigger for a LOT of kids. What you eat is more connected to how healthy you are than people think, and most people consume a whole lot of junk and artificial foods with added fructose (especially low-fat people, since in low-fat products they almost without exception add it).

I saw that. I linked it to my class website so the students can read it. Many of them think pyschology in not applicable to real life. I love finding articles that describe the connection between behavior and diet, environment, etc.

Glad to be of help - and yes, I agree that many in that demographic do not see the relationship that you mention. :001_smile: It took me AWHILE to see it and admit it.

FRUCTOSE is a big trigger for a LOT of kids. What you eat is more connected to how healthy you are than people think, and most people consume a whole lot of junk and artificial foods with added fructose (especially low-fat people, since in low-fat products they almost without exception add it).

I agree - it was an eye-opener for me regarding what triggers reactions in my kids and my dh.

I agree - it was an eye-opener for me regarding what triggers reactions in my kids and my dh.

For my younger daughter too, it's just incredible - give her too much fructose and she "gets" ADHD. Take away fructose from her and her brain works wonderfully, can concentrate, no problems at all. Unbelievable.

The town of Drexel, Missouri announced yesterday that its residents were not to use the town's water supply for any bodily consumption purpose or to wash dishes. (I'm thinking I wouldn't want to launder my clothes in it, either.) It has been determined that the reservoir contains ten times the legal limit of an agricultural pesticide used on nearby corn fields. Until pipelines are laid to import water from the nearest safe system, they have to use bottled for almost everything. It is said the current water system must be permanently abandoned.

Yesterday I was thinking about what would happen to property values in that town. This morning I found myself wondering about cancer rates. And after reading this article, I am really curious about the percentage of ADHD diagnoses in that population.

With the Drexel situation, this article and Food, Inc, I think my grocery budget is about to need a BIG increase.

Thanks for sharing, Mariann.

The town of Drexel, Missouri announced yesterday that its residents were not to use the town's water supply for any bodily consumption purpose or to wash dishes. (I'm thinking I wouldn't want to launder my clothes in it, either.) It has been determined that the reservoir contains ten times the legal limit of an agricultural pesticide used on nearby corn fields. Until pipelines are laid to import water from the nearest safe system, they have to use bottled for almost everything. It is said the current water system must be permanently abandoned.

Yesterday I was thinking about what would happen to property values in that town. This morning I found myself wondering about cancer rates. And after reading this article, I am really curious about the percentage of ADHD diagnoses in that population.

With the Drexel situation, this article and Food, Inc, I think my grocery budget is about to need a BIG increase.

Thanks for sharing, Mariann.

THAT is scary! We began making the switch to organic and clean eating and everything else a couple of years ago when dd29 began to see that she had multiple chemical sensitivities that were making recovery from Lyme Disease impossible. Our household was about a year behind hers.

In the beginning, dh pooh-poohed it, but he has probably benefitted the most from our changes - he and the twins. I no longer discount the importance of it.

The result - yes, we spend a TON of money on food now. It is a huge increase, but I pointed out to dh last week that we had been spending a huge amount of $$$$ on snacks for the kids 18 months ago - you know those '100 calorie snack packs' - we would go through SO many boxes of that stuff in a week it was ridiculous.

We stopped buying as much processed foods as we could - snacks now are carrots, celery, fruit, 'whole foods,' - etc.

I truly envy folks who don't seem to have any sensitivity to processed foods - eating was much easier b4 we made the connection to food and behavior. 'Life' was somewhat difficult due to the behavior issues, but eating was sure easier!:glare:

We are still making the transition - I am always tweaking and making changes. It gives me 'something' to do, you know.;)

We are in the same boat here with the food costs which is another reason that we began homesteading. We are up to eating almost 75% organic and my food budget went up astronomically. But, it has been worth it.

We made the switch to organic foods, no hydrogentated oils, no high fructose corn syrup, limited sugar, and healthy sweeteners (fruit juice, honey, and maple syrup) when one of the ds's developed a heart condition (now completely asymptomatic - YEAH!) at the age of five and his cardiologist said "Take him home and keep him healthy". I did a lot of research and discovered just how many chemicals affect the heart - artificial sweeteners included. So, we eliminated industrial cleaners first. I use baking soda, vinegar, and Dr. Bronner's soaps as my primary cleaners and add tea tree oil when I want some extra oomph. We all began feeling more energetic and stopped having so many upper repiratory symptoms and sore throats in the winter. I also noticed that the kids were far more pleasant.

Then we started eliminating foods and buying organics. It was a financial ouch, but soooo worth it. It did radically change my cooking and baking habits.

Don't discount pollution either. In Midland, Michigan, people are having severe health problems from dioxin that leaked into the waterways and the soil from the Dow Chemical Plant there. Huge problem and of course the big company is just certain there isn't anything bad about dioxin leaching into your soil and making it so toxic that children can not go barefoot in their own yards!! Sickening!

Faith

We are in the same boat here with the food costs which is another reason that we began homesteading. We are up to eating almost 75% organic and my food budget went up astronomically. But, it has been worth it.

We made the switch to organic foods, no hydrogentated oils, no high fructose corn syrup, limited sugar, and healthy sweeteners (fruit juice, honey, and maple syrup) when one of the ds's developed a heart condition (now completely asymptomatic - YEAH!) at the age of five and his cardiologist said "Take him home and keep him healthy". I did a lot of research and discovered just how many chemicals affect the heart - artificial sweeteners included. So, we eliminated industrial cleaners first. I use baking soda, vinegar, and Dr. Bronner's soaps as my primary cleaners and add tea tree oil when I want some extra oomph. We all began feeling more energetic and stopped having so many upper repiratory symptoms and sore throats in the winter. I also noticed that the kids were far more pleasant.

Then we started eliminating foods and buying organics. It was a financial ouch, but soooo worth it. It did radically change my cooking and baking habits.

Don't discount pollution either. In Midland, Michigan, people are having severe health problems from dioxin that leaked into the waterways and the soil from the Dow Chemical Plant there. Huge problem and of course the big company is just certain there isn't anything bad about dioxin leaching into your soil and making it so toxic that children can not go barefoot in their own yards!! Sickening!

Faith

It is awful!

My dd and her dh had to get all new cookware, dinnerware, flatware, and drinking glasses - and so did we.

And, I SO hear you about changing cooking and baking habits.:)

It's interesting but I'm always wary of things like this because people will infer that pesticides cause ALL ADD or that limiting pesticides will rid the population of ADD.

Yes, I agree with you. Unfortunately, that is not a scenario that is difficult to believe.

In my family, however, the article gives me a certain amount of reassurance that I am not seeing the placebo effect regarding the changes we have made.

It's interesting but I'm always wary of things like this because people will infer that pesticides cause ALL ADD or that limiting pesticides will rid the population of ADD.

I agree. There is no one size fits all anything. Of my 3 kids only my middle one is affected by artificial colors, but it is very obvious when he had eaten them. The other kids can eat the same thing with no side effects. Things affect everyone differently, and there may be any number of things that cause ADD in different people.

I most certainly notice behaviour changes in my son based on the food he eats. It seems he is particularly sensitive to fructose and HFCS.

In addition to food, I can tell you from experience that chemicals in the home -- especially things with fragrance or perfume -- can be a huge trigger. We have a chemical-free home and the family next door to us uses Febreeze. Their son often smells of the stuff and if he's around I about lose my mind. Recently they dropped off some clothes for my son that their boys had outgrown (very kind of them) and my husband put them down inside the front door. I walked downstairs and the smell overwhelmed me to the point where I had trouble controlling myself. (I was in tears, had a little tantrum, etc.) It's really hard to describe this to anyone who hasn't experienced it, but it's such a strong physical and emotional reaction that can really knock you off center. Of course, it's a bit more sudden and difficult when it happens in my own home as I'm not prepared for it... but I also have to really decompress when I come back from public places like the mall, where I'm usually subjected to the chemical soup floating around there.

So for anyone reading who isn't in a position to go all out organic with foods, you can start by removing things such as air fresheners, fabric softener and perfume (and health and body products that contain same) from your home and see if it helps. Honestly, doing that increased my own quality of life in unbelievably huge ways.

I most certainly notice behaviour changes in my son based on the food he eats. It seems he is particularly sensitive to fructose and HFCS.

In addition to food, I can tell you from experience that chemicals in the home -- especially things with fragrance or perfume -- can be a huge trigger. We have a chemical-free home and the family next door to us uses Febreeze. Their son often smells of the stuff and if he's around I about lose my mind. Recently they dropped off some clothes for my son that their boys had outgrown (very kind of them) and my husband put them down inside the front door. I walked downstairs and the smell overwhelmed me to the point where I had trouble controlling myself. (I was in tears, had a little tantrum, etc.) It's really hard to describe this to anyone who hasn't experienced it, but it's such a strong physical and emotional reaction that can really knock you off center. Of course, it's a bit more sudden and difficult when it happens in my own home as I'm not prepared for it... but I also have to really decompress when I come back from public places like the mall, where I'm usually subjected to the chemical soup floating around there.

So for anyone reading who isn't in a position to go all out organic with foods, you can start by removing things such as air fresheners, fabric softener and perfume (and health and body products that contain same) from your home and see if it helps. Honestly, doing that increased my own quality of life in unbelievably huge ways.

My dd29 suffers from MCS. It was not until I witnessed what happens to her that I stopped wearing perfume, and went on an all out mission to 'green' our house.

What alot of folks don't know (and I didn't till I began researching) is that it is NOT the FRAGRANCE but the chemicals that create the fragrance.

Mariannova, So true, so true...those chemicals are just murder. And for me, I am not only sensitive to the chemicals but in many cases I am ALLERGIC as well. Guess why....many of the better perfumes have rag weed extract included as a fragrance extender! Therefore, the worst allergy I have can be triggered just by walking past someone wearing a decent perfume.

I tell ya, the chemical companies are killing us and we've been soooooooo slow to figure that out. I'm convinced that when they started out, they didn't have a clue but now, they definitely know and the love of the all mighty dollar is more important than human lives.

I've always wondered what might happen in prisons if all of these toxic chemicals were eliminated. After all, those amongst us who are the least willing or capable of controlling themselves might be even worse when exposed to chemical soup.

Faith

Mariannova, So true, so true...those chemicals are just murder. And for me, I am not only sensitive to the chemicals but in many cases I am ALLERGIC as well. Guess why....many of the better perfumes have rag weed extract included as a fragrance extender! Therefore, the worst allergy I have can be triggered just by walking past someone wearing a decent perfume.

I tell ya, the chemical companies are killing us and we've been soooooooo slow to figure that out. I'm convinced that when they started out, they didn't have a clue but now, they definitely know and the love of the all mighty dollar is more important than human lives.

I've always wondered what might happen in prisons if all of these toxic chemicals were eliminated. After all, those amongst us who are the least willing or capable of controlling themselves might be even worse when exposed to chemical soup.

Faith

Faith: I SO agree. My daughter and her dh are unable to use our washer and dryer b/c at some point, detergent and fabric softener had been used in them (nice LG W/D but left by the previous owner of our home).

They have to be SO careful -- the consciousness-raising that is needed is behemoth.

When dd was having IV therapy in one of her doctor's offices, she had to go so far as having to ask if one of the IV rooms could be a fragrance-free room - one would think that someone would have addressed that issue a long time ago.:confused: