Menu

Any Kiwis out there?

My husband and I visited NZ in 1999 and loved it. Now we have a wild hair and are toying with the idea of moving there for a year or so. We live in Kentucky and my husband is an accountant for a bloodstock company (thoroughbred breeding/racing) and we're thinking his experience may fit the bill for a work visa. I'm wondering a few things:

How is homeschooling there? mainstream or radical?

What made you decide to homeschool?

How "legal" is it?

How in the world do folks afford housing there? It seems very expensive to us.

Anyway, I would love to hear any input from you!

Peace,

Rene

Rene, I can't give any advice on homeschooling in New Zealand but I can tell you most New Zealanders and Australians are tucked up in bed right now so you might want to bump your question to the top of the board in about 5 or 6 hours. I think it is about 2 am Saturday morning in NZ right now.

DH has travelled all over New Zealand for work and says it is absolutely beautiful. A year there sounds like a wonderful idea.

Katrina

So another lover of NZ....I know that there is an official work in NZ site that has some information so if you haven't joined I would recommend it...the emails I get are from immigration new zealand so try that. I so want to go back to NZ!

Here's my experience for what it's worth....

We are British and have been in NZ for almost 2 years. Sadly I think we will have to return to the UK soon. We are on a work visa. I hs my ds5.5, with 3 littlies also at home with me. I have seen a few other Kiwis on the boards so hopefully they will have more to say.

Homeschooling here is perfectly legal and acceptable. For all children over 6 years you need to apply for an exemption certificate - we haven't done this yet obviously but I have heard it is fairly straightforward. Kiwi children (or their parents!) are then given a small amount of money to go towards resources, books etc. It's about $700NZD I think.

We hs for religious reasons. In our town (Tauranga) there are lots of other hs families, many who are Christian but also many who are not - it seems there is a broad range.

We rent - the price is similsr to Britain.

Really sorry my kiddies have just got back from soccer so I need to go! I might get chance to write more later!

Hope that helps a little bit.

I have HSed in NZ for almost 9 years. To answer your questions...

How is homeschooling there? mainstream or radical? HSing is just another option of how you want to educate your dc. I had never really been aware of HSing until I pulled ds#1 out of PS at age 7. After I began, I was surprised how common HSing was here.

What made you decide to homeschool?I first began HSing with ds#1 as PS was unable to meet his needs. I added dd & ds#2 to our HS 18 months later as I wanted all 3 dc at home. Juggling 3 schooling situations was too stressful for me. I've never regretted HSing, but we take it year-to-year. We are looking at the possibility of sending ds#2 to PS next year for highschool.

How "legal" is it?HSing is legal here. We are required to apply for an exemption for HSing when the child turns 6yo or we remove that dc from PS. We need to show that we will educate "at least as regularly & as well as" the PS. Every 6 months we sign a paper to state we continue to homeschool & want the supervisory allowance the gov't pays. That allowance isn't much ($371.50 for the 1st dc, $316 for the 2nd dc, 260.50 for the 3rd dc, & $186 for any other dc on exemptions) This allowance is paid every June & December after you have been approved for your exemption. If you are careful, the allowance will cover most of your HSing costs. It sounds like a lot, but it is NZ$ & books are expensive here. Only dc on exemptions are given the allowance, not dc under 6yo.

How in the world do folks afford housing there?Housing is expensive here if you are looking to have the same style of housing that most Americans are used to. Same for cars, groceries, cable TV, etc. If you are happy to live like the local NZers, you can live quite comfortably. Housing is more affordable if you look outside the main cities. Day-to-day cost of living is higher here than what you are probably used to in the States. Petrol (gas) is $1.79 / liter. Bread is $1.45 for the cheap budget bread. Milk is $3.40 for a 2 liter bottle. Eggs are $7.99 for a tray of 30 eggs. Mince (ground beef) is ~$8.99 / kg. Butter is $3.99 / 500g. Cheese is ~$10 / kg.

If you have any questions, feel free ask or PM me. Life here in NZ is great, but don't come thinking that life will be just like you have at home in the States.

Blessings,

Thanks for the info. It sounds like we could make the adjustment, provided we can get in the country to work! I would gladly trade higher housing cost for a less consumption-driven culture. That is one of the things we loved about NZ when we visited. Thanks again - I'll keep you posted!

Peace,

Rene