Menu

Really Annoyed by Cub Scout Camp

There is no way in heck that I would drop my 6 year old DS off with a whole bunch of strangers and say "see ya." The only reason DS is even doing scout camp this year is because the group we are joining is made up of mostly boys from our church with a few homeschooling families thrown into the mix. The point is that I KNOW all the people who will be working with my kid. If I didn't know these people, I would be at that camp with my DS in my sight at all times. Why?

Because my DH's ex-coworker was a boy scout leader for years, took the boys out west on scout trips, etc. Well, it came out last year that he'd been doing naughty things with one of the kids and had naughty pictures on his computer. The guy ended up committing suicide days before he was supposed to goto trial. Needless to say, DS will never be allowed to go on a scout trip of any sort without my knowing the people he will be with VERY well.

I have a son going into Webelos I this year.... I will be taking him to resident camp this summer and I will be with him at all times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My youngest is our third son in Cub Scouts and I have never had anyone tell me that I could not be with my sons. I have been required to complete Youth Protection training. With all my boys I have been with them for every activity with cub scouts. There were a few activities where I had two of my boys participating, but I knew the other parents and could trust one or two to keep an eye on my older boy(s).

My youngest, I could not entrust with another parent or leader for any activities outside a regular den meeting or pack night. But he is ds autism spectrum (mild end, but he is a handful). I will be with him all the way until he is old enough/ mature enough to handle himself. But currently, he is not ready. He could easily decide to run off on his own and he isn't afraid.. has no safety awareness.