Menu

Saxon Teacher vs. solutions manuals...My question is about which is best.....

My only problem in teaching math is that sometimes I need to see how they worked the problem. And then I can figure it out.

In this case, for those who are familiar with both..couldn't I just go with the solutions manual? I have limited funds for school and the manual is cheaper.

Thx,

Whitney

Yes, I think you need the solution manual in paper form. I didn't purchase both originally, just getting the CDs, regretting it later.

Our scenario: My dd and I are doing Algebra at the dining room table. She does the problem and asks if it's right. Well, the computer is in the other room (along with her distractions) so to have to get up, go into her bedroom, pull up the CD and then find the solution, is WAY too much time spent. To have the solution manual in hand is way better for us.

ALSO, and I posted this in another thread this morning, having those solutions is very tempting for our young students. I wish they were on a separate CD. And I know of only one time this year where we actually had to go and look at a solution to understand it better. (I have the solution manual for Alg. I that I had to buy later when it became clear I needed it)

That is just our situation, yours may be different. But I hope this helped some in your decision!

Edited by LatinTea

Update: Sorry, I didn't read your original post correctly. In regards to your question, for us, the solution manual was enough, but everyone is different. As you can see by just these two replies. Hopefully, someone else will chime in still. :)

We did Saxon 1/2 this year and there is no Teacher cd set for this book. Overall, I did fine with only the solutions manual. But, those dreadful, terrible, awful surface area/lateral surface area/volume problems really caused some trouble. For that reason alone, I purchased the teacher cd for algebra 1. I can teach algebra 1. I'm confident about my ability to teach algebra concepts. But, I had so much trouble working and explaining those miserable problems already mentioned, that I wanted that cd. Can you tell I really don't like those particular problems? :)