Menu

Care to look at another 9th grade schedule?

I had a friend look over my schedule, and she thought it was a bit heavy

Math - MUS finish pre-algebra & Algebra 1

English - IEW (writing )

AG (grammar)

Vocabulary from Classical Roots

TOG - for history (R-level), literature(begin at D level and will ease into

R level) have not decided on GOV or Philosophy

Science - Apologia Biology (labs at co-op)

Latin - Latin Road

Logic - Traditional Logic

Dd will also take set design and do a musical with our co-op

and will possibly start taking dance classes.

It looks good on paper to me, we had such a chaotic year last year I do feel the need to "catch up" or at least get back on track with things. Dd is a good independant worker so I have no worries, except that I might overwhelm her with work.

Edited by M&M

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

It looks fine to me. Here is my upcoming 9th grader's schedule:

Math - MUS Geometry or Algebra 2 with LOF (we'll probably do Algebra 2 before Geometry on the recommendation of LOF's author)

History/Geography/Humanities/Church History/Literature - TRISMS Discovering the Ancient World

Writing - IEW SICC-B, Elegant Essay

Grammar - AG (our first year)

Spelling - AAS (yes, he still needs spelling)

Science - Apologia Chemistry

Home Ec

That's what I can remember at the moment, LOL.

My other ds just finished 9th grade and his schedule was:

Math - MUS Algebra with LOF added toward the end of the year

History/Geography/Humanities/Church History/Literature - TRISMS Discovering the Ancient World

Writing - IEW SWI-C

Grammar - Shurley Grammar 7

Spelling - Sequential Spelling

Science - Apologia Biology

Typing

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
It will be our first year with AG as well. Will you do it in one year, or will you use the reinforcements books and do AG over two years?

I'm going to do it over 2 years. I didn't see doing it over 1 year as being an option but I could have missed it somewhere as I haven't read through the teacher manual yet. The 2 schedules I saw were doing it over 2 years (if yous start in 8th grade or later) and over 3 years (if you start in 6th or 7th grade). I also bought each student the Review and Reinforcement Book to use in-between Seasons. I may buy some of the High School Reinforcement books after we are done but I'll wait until we are done to decide that.

You are right they don't offer it as an option, I was just thinking that we could just continue to use over the year instead of breaking it up and doing the practice books. I think I spoke to Erin at the conference about doing it in one year, but don't quote me on that one because I was on information overload by the time the conference was over.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
You are right they don't offer it as an option, I was just thinking that we could just continue to use over the year instead of breaking it up and doing the practice books. I think I spoke to Erin at the conference about doing it in one year, but don't quote me on that one because I was on information overload by the time the conference was over.

I hear you on the information overload! That's why I was thinking maybe I'd missed it, LOL. I didn't consider doing it over 1 year because I think it's more likely to stick if it's spread out with review in-between. My goal was to have it done by the time my upcoming 10th grader done before he takes the PSAT and SAT, which doing it over 2 years will accomplish.

Well, I hate to say it but a big motivation for me doing this was money. I purchased two student books (my 6th grader will be doing this as well) and I really couldn't see spending anymore money on grammar when I had other things to purchase for my younger children. I really picked some expensive programs this year! I think I might just pull some things from my R&S grammar books for extra practice.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Well, I hate to say it but a big motivation for me doing this was money. I purchased two student books (my 6th grader will be doing this as well) and I really couldn't see spending anymore money on grammar when I had other things to purchase for my younger children. I really picked some expensive programs this year! I think I might just pull some things from my R&S grammar books for extra practice.

I don't follow. Are you saying that you want to do it in 1 year so you can save money by not buying the review books?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Yup! I have a full set of Rod and Staff grammar but dd hates it! I agreed to find something else, so we are using AG, but it was not in my original school budget.

Do your other kids like it?

Ds 11 is more math/science, so anything to do with reading/writing/ pencils etc. is a struggle. So, he will try AG as well. The other children are too young yet, I have R&S3 and FLL3 in my shelf and have not decided which Dd8 will use this fall. I really like R&S, and might have dd14 use it next year if we do AG in one year so that she will be ready for PSAT/SAT...we will see.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Ds 11 is more math/science, so anything to do with reading/writing/ pencils etc. is a struggle. So, he will try AG as well. The other children are too young yet, I have R&S3 and FLL3 in my shelf and have not decided which Dd8 will use this fall. I really like R&S, and might have dd14 use it next year if we do AG in one year so that she will be ready for PSAT/SAT...we will see.

Sorry, I meant do your other dc like R&S. All 5 of my children are sick so I'm not the most well rested individual right now;) Hopefully AG will work better for her!

English - IEW (writing )

AG (grammar)

Are planning to do the writing assignments in TOG? Or are you using IEW in place of TOG writing? I would choose one or the other, not both, to include in your English credit. Otherwise your schedule looks doable to me.

Maybe your friend doesn't realize that w/TOG govt and philosophy are only 1/4 credit per year.

Cinder

Do your other kids like it?

My next two children are ds11who does not like any writing/grammar and dd8 who will be starting grammar this fall. The other two are too young for grammar. Sorry if I have been unclear, I have been multi-tasking today. I hope your children get better and you get some rest, ((hugs)).

I may pick a few, but for the most part IEW would be our writing this year.

My friend did R level last year, so she knows. I think because we will not be doing R lit from the start (which she did) we will have a lighter year than she did.

Thanks for the input.

I'm going to do it over 2 years. I didn't see doing it over 1 year as being an option but I could have missed it somewhere as I haven't read through the teacher manual yet.

In my TM, at the bottom of the first page titled How Does the Three-Year Program Work? it says:

If you have an older student and you want to get through more quickly, teach units 1-10 as above. Reinforce once a week until Christmas. After that do until 11-17 (skip the review). Reinforce once a week until the end of the year. Year two would be units 18-34.

If you want to go through all in one year, you don't need to purchase R&R. Just go straight through.

I think your 9th grade schedule looks fine.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
In my TM, at the bottom of the first page titled How Does the Three-Year Program Work? it says:

I think your 9th grade schedule looks fine.

Thanks Sue, I was just going by what it said on the website. My goal is two years because I want to drag it out a bit but finish before the PSAT and SAT so I didn't look for anything different in the TM.

• 2 weeks later...
I had a friend look over my schedule, and she thought it was a bit heavy

Math - MUS finish pre-algebra & Algebra 1

English - IEW (writing )

AG (grammar)

Science - Apologia Biology (labs at co-op)

Latin - Latin Road

Dd will also take set design and do a musical with our co-op

and will possibly start taking dance classes.

It looks good on paper to me, we had such a chaotic year last year I do feel the need to "catch up" or at least get back on track with things. Dd is a good independant worker so I have no worries, except that I might overwhelm her with work.

I promise I didn't copy your schedule :-), but here is my oldest's schedule (look familiar?):

MUS: Alg and LoF

Latin: 1st/2nd Form

English: Finish R&S 7 (I will get through an entire text if it kills me!), Wordsmith (he finished IEW B last year), Vocab from Classical Roots,

TOG: History and Literature (I will be selectively adding govt and philosophy in but won't give credit above and beyond)

Science: Apologia Biol.

Logic: Finish the Fallacy detc., Toolbox, the Art of Argument (doing this summer and all orally) Start Traditional Logic 1

Piano, TKD, Sea Cadets, Typing

Actually it looks much like mine. I think it's great.

English - Vocabulary - Vocabulary from Classical Roots, Grammar - continue Analytical Grammar, Literature - I've recently completed Teaching the Classics along w/LL, Composition - Lost Tools of Writing

American History - historyatourhouse.com

Latin - First Form Latin

Science - Apologia Physical Science

Teaching Textbooks - finish last bit of Algebra I and move on to Algebra II

Spanish - Rosetta Stone

Art - History Through Art from historyatourhouse.com

Obviously the basics will be 4 - 5 days a week but others with be 2 or 3 days.

I promise I didn't copy your schedule :-), but here is my oldest's schedule (look familiar?):

MUS: Alg and LoF

Latin: 1st/2nd Form

English: Finish R&S 7 (I will get through an entire text if it kills me!), Wordsmith (he finished IEW B last year), Vocab from Classical Roots,

TOG: History and Literature (I will be selectively adding govt and philosophy in but won't give credit above and beyond)

Science: Apologia Biol.

Logic: Finish the Fallacy detc., Toolbox, the Art of Argument (doing this summer and all orally) Start Traditional Logic 1

Piano, TKD, Sea Cadets, Typing

Gee, we must have read the same book :lol::lol::lol: