Menu

Is IEW worth it? What if your kids are different groups?

Ginevra

Trying to decide if I'm willing to slog through the videos so I can learn to do it right, and also if I can cope with spending so much money on it. My dd is going to be 8th grade and my son is 5th. How does that work? I'm thinking I want the teacher videos and then a theme-based book for each kid (Character for the 8th and Fairy Tales for the 5th). Would that work? Or do I also need the SWI for each kid?

I don't think you would need the SWI for each student... unless you wanted to do that *after* you went through the theme-based books. The main set of 10 DVD's comes with an instructional disc for each level, so they could watch 2 levels separately (those will tie in with the theme based books).

I would get the TWSS, plus the two theme-based books, and not get anything else until you've gone through those. Your older one might want to go right into the high school levels after that. I'd leave the options open.

I don't think you would need the SWI for each student... unless you wanted to do that *after* you went through the theme-based books. The main set of 10 DVD's comes with an instructional disc for each level, so they could watch 2 levels separately (those will tie in with the theme based books).

I would get the TWSS, plus the two theme-based books, and not get anything else until you've gone through those. Your older one might want to go right into the high school levels after that. I'd leave the options open.

:iagree:

After several failed attempts to used IEW and spending a ton of money, I have come to the conclusion that it was not worth it for us. However, I do credit the IEW keyword outline technique for getting my older son writing, but you can try that for free.

I know that some people have success using the theme books without ever watching the DVDs, but I would not personally use them without first understanding the program myself. The DVDs are the teacher's guide, and the theme books are the student edition.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I know that some people have success using the theme books without ever watching the DVDs, but I would not personally use them without first understanding the program myself. The DVDs are the teacher's guide, and the theme books are the student edition.

:iagree:The theme books never worked for me even though I had the TWSS DVD's and had been to a seminar. IEW didn't really work for us until I got the SWI and SICC DVD's because Mr Pudewa is a much better teacher than I am and I didn't have the time needed to teach it myself. It's so much easier for me to pop in the DVD and watch with my kids while I make dinner, feed a toddler, etc.

Check the IEW website b/c they will post when someone in your state/county is doing an IEW parent/teacher seminar on how to use the program. These seminars are from 8am-5pm (yeah, long, I know) and go through all 9 units. It puts the program into "bite-size" pieces for better digestion. :tongue_smilie:Then you can use the DVD's for more in-depth instruction as you get to that unit.

It's definitely a labor intensive program and one that we have quit mid-year before. But we have come back to it b/c it really is a solid way of writing instruction.

HTH!

You do not need the teacher DVDs if you have the SWI DVDs that the kids watch.

Sure, the teacher program is helpful, but not required. If you use the SWI DVDs that the kids watch, Andrew is the teacher instead of you.

You still have a guide in the SWI manual to let you know what to do though.

If you like the idea of the program but don't want to slog through the teacher DVDs, then just try the SWI DVDs. And you can use the same level for multiple levels of kids-just depends on where they are at.

You can get them for about 20-40% off new on the used boards.

You do not need the teacher DVDs if you have the SWI DVDs that the kids watch.

Sure, the teacher program is helpful, but not required. If you use the SWI DVDs that the kids watch, Andrew is the teacher instead of you.

You still have a guide in the SWI manual to let you know what to do though.

If you like the idea of the program but don't want to slog through the teacher DVDs, then just try the SWI DVDs. And you can use the same level for multiple levels of kids-just depends on where they are at.

You can get them for about 20-40% off new on the used boards.

The SWI DVDs are also a good route to go, but they do not go through all 9 units. You would need to buy SICC that corresponds with the level of the SWI. If you get the TWSS you have everything you need to teach all of the units.