Menu

TOG: Moving up levels

Tracy

I have been trying to plan ahead for buying books for upcoming year plans. For those that have used TOG with their LG kids, can you tell me how old they were when they moved to UG? I realize the every kid is different. I just want to know at what point it is up in the air. Can I count on my 5yo being in LG for at least 2-3 years? Would you expect a bright 8yo to have moved into UG reading?

The only really indication on when it is time to move from LG to UG is when the child can read fluently and independently to learn. That means that you can hand them an age-appropriate book, ask them to read it, and then check back when they have finished when they will be able to tell you what they learned. You have to take into account both reading ability AND comprehension. If in doubt, stay at the lower level.

So ... unfortunately, your question really is ... When should each child be reading on their own with a reasonably high degree of comprehension and recall? Sound impossible to answer? Yup.

Sorry I couldn't just give you a number!

Blessings,

One dc, a reader early on, started UG in teh second half of 3rd grade. She was 9.

Ds, who is a late bloomer, will not start UG until he's in 4th grade b/c I want to give him a year to feel super confident in reading before allowing him to work independently.

I will continue some read aloud spines for LG and UG anyways, but will then assign other places of reading independently.

My dd will go into ug when she is 7 almost 8. She is on the verge of reading some ug this year (turning 7 in Sep) but could not be solid ug for the year.

What Tina posted reminded me that I should clarify.:001_smile: I plan on doing RA for core history from either the lg selection or SOTW until all each kiddo is in 4th grade. I may add some in-depth at ug level earlier depending on child. My answer above only applies to literature. Sometimes I forget that nobody can see inside my head.:lol:

My 3 older children didn't start TOG at grammar levels.

ds #2 - started UG at 9

ds #3 - started UG at 10.5 (mild dyslexia)

dd #3 - will start UG at 9

dd#4 - is still LG at 6.5, but I could see her starting UG at 8

The year before starting UG, most of my kids read a combination of the two levels, but did not do the SAP's.

If my other children had been in TOG in the younger grades, dd #1 could have started UG at 7, dd #2 could have started at 6, and ds #1 would have probably been 8.

You can also read aloud some of the UG lit to the younger ones. I find these selections more enjoyable than some of the designated read-alouds.

But I was hoping I could get a few people to tell me at what age this happened with their children just so I could get a feel for it.

I'm going to try UG this fall with my dd who will turn 9 in August. We'll see how she does. I think she'll be ready, but if she's not, we'll continue in LG for a while longer.

It really does depend on the child.