Menu

Homeschooling an ADHD dc--

There is an ADHD yahoo list you can join for homeschooling moms. I think everybody has to find their little methods. For us it was short lessons a la CM, heavy reliance on a timer, an understanding that the student can not work independently very well, so much of the time I taught one on one in short lessons with materials that suited his learning style (went through a lot of trying stuff out and failing!). Make sure you stay with routine as much as possible, focus on good sleep patterns, high protein breakfasts, lots of exercise.

It can be done!

I agree with the above, especially about the high protein meals. eta: we do snacks of string cheese and such, it helps.

Also, if they are wiggly, you may need to replace some of those behaviors if they are bothersome to the other kids. I don't allow my dd to tap her pencil, but I give her a rubber band on her wrist to play with instead.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Ah yes! Mrs Mungo just reminded me of other stuff when my son was really young (he's about to turn 18!). He couldn't sit for long and work at something, so things went much better if I did a lot of stuff orally with him standing or pacing. He could concentrate a lot better also if he wrote his answers on a whiteboard easel or a wall mounted chalkboard or whiteboard (we've used all three of these over the years). Also, let them chew gum, or squeeze one of those stress balls or play with a worry stone while they are trying to concentrate. My son was great at reciting things like times tables or even doing narrations while he was hanging upside down on either the couch or the backyard swing set, jumping up and down on a trampoline, jumping rope. He also learned a lot computer games/educational tv/teach. co lectures, especially if he could ride a stationary bike or work out on the elliptical at the same time. In between short lessons, I'd make him run around the house a certain number of times to work out the wiggles.

In the past I have seen some one recommend letting your child sit or lay on one of the large exercise balls during read alouds or oral activites.

Also if you are doing drills of phonograms or math facts etc.. you can make larger 4x6 type cards and then lay them randomly on the floor spaced apart and have the child jump from one to another giving the correct response.

hth

In the past I have seen some one recommend letting your child sit or lay on one of the large exercise balls during read alouds or oral activites.

Also if you are doing drills of phonograms or math facts etc.. you can make larger 4x6 type cards and then lay them randomly on the floor spaced apart and have the child jump from one to another giving the correct response.

hth

The exercise ball did WONDERS for my son this year! He bounced away as he did his work. We've found short lessons to be necessary here as well.

Love the ideas. DS/10 tried school this last year and after 1 semester he came back home. We put him on focalin, but now that he's been on it for almost 6mo he has continued to lose weight and pediatrician said she may have to take him off of it. Now, I am looking at what we can do to help him without using the medication.

I was giving him Omega 3 chewies from Trader Joe's, big breakfast with lots of protein, 1 hr of exercise/active play per day, and limited "screen time." It helped to keep his lessons short and keep distractions around him to a minimum. It looks like there are many of us in the same boat.