Menu

Comb Binding Machine..thinking of purchasing

Wouldn't a good hole punch and three-ring binder be better? I am very much a punch/binder person and very, very, much not a comb/spiral person. I can't stand those things. You can't take out a page, use it for something or copy it, and then replace it in it's rightful position. They begin to fray at the top and bottom and there's nothing to do about it. With a 3-ring binder they stay pretty neat and if a hole b/c a problem, there are hole reinforcements (or a folded over piece of tape). If you want to add a supplemental page or sample of your child's work, you can't do that with the spiral or comb . . . w/o a lot of work.

Also consider resale. There are other ppl like me out there and if you were trying to sell something comb or spiral, even if I wanted it, I would wait till I could find it hole punched or in the original so I could hole punch it myself. Of course, there may be a wild pack of spiral/comb lovers out there that I don't know about!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I have had a comb binder for years and LOVE it!!! I prefer it over spiral because it lays flat (like spiral) but is easy to open to add/remove pages and you can label the spine. I don't care for 3 hole punch in binders because all the stress is put on 3 holes and they are more likely to tear. I only use binders now when I'm also using page protectors.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I chose a pro-click binding machine over a comb binder. I like the benefit of being able to open it fully, like a spiral notebook, over a simple comb binder. Here's a review I did when I purchased mine last year. One of the best 100.00 investments I've ever made.

What do you mean? Comb bound pages open fully (lay flat). What they don't do is fold all the way around so the front cover touches the back cover. I never do that so it doesn't matter to me but could be a deal breaker to some. I like to be able to easily add/remove pages, which can be done with comb binding but not spiral.

What do you mean? Comb bound pages open fully (lay flat). What they don't do is fold all the way around so the front cover touches the back cover. I never do that so it doesn't matter to me but could be a deal breaker to some. I like to be able to easily add/remove pages, which can be done with comb binding but not spiral.

I do like to fold the pages back, which is why I prefer a spiral bound.

I use a combination of spiral bound, 3 hole-punched in binders or in book rings for my organization.

Every year I make a school planner for me. One I have all the pages printed, I use the spiral binding.

Pro-click also makes spines that you can open and close easily. But they only have 3 sizes and are more expensive. I have a few of those that I will use for my son's planner, so I can add his printed assignment page easily.

I also use binders for subjects where I know we'll be adding pages on a regular basis.

Wouldn't a good hole punch and three-ring binder be better? I am very much a punch/binder person and very, very, much not a comb/spiral person. I can't stand those things. You can't take out a page, use it for something or copy it, and then replace it in it's rightful position. They begin to fray at the top and bottom and there's nothing to do about it. With a 3-ring binder they stay pretty neat and if a hole b/c a problem, there are hole reinforcements (or a folded over piece of tape). If you want to add a supplemental page or sample of your child's work, you can't do that with the spiral or comb . . . w/o a lot of work.

Also consider resale. There are other ppl like me out there and if you were trying to sell something comb or spiral, even if I wanted it, I would wait till I could find it hole punched or in the original so I could hole punch it myself. Of course, there may be a wild pack of spiral/comb lovers out there that I don't know about!

Most of what I use to spiral bind are items that won't be resold. We also have a flat bed copier, so copies aren't an issue. I use report covers (cut into front and back) for covers to protect them and wear has not been an issue. And yes there are plenty of binding fanatics out there (try doing a search for Circa punch). :lol::lol: