Menu

Separate Classroom

I was trying to search for posts about people who have a separate room to homeschool in but I was not having any luck.

Anyone have suggestions or input into the room you use for school, especially if you are lucky enough to not have to share this room for some other use.

Thanks!

:lurk5:

We were blessed to find a house with a finished basement, with a very large common area that we have actually separated into a schoolroom, playroom and bedroom, a separate enclosed room that I have designed as our homeschool library and resource room, and a final separate storage room.

However, we only do our "book work" (the 3 Rs) in the basement. I find that we need to move around in order to not get bored with everything else. So while I store most things there, I do have a bookshelf in our upstairs office that houses all our current geography, history, and science materials, and literature read alouds.

We read in our living room and do projects in the kitchen. The Cd player is constantly running with audiobooks and educational type programs, like Jim Weiss or Geography Songs, etc. Plus I read to them in my bed at night.

We really school all over the place and at various times during the day.

I suppose I could've been more helpful.

We live in the mountains and so we have a big house, and so far are only able to have one child, thus it's a big empty house. So when we started homeschooling last year, I went crazy trying to fill up some of the rooms. As a result, we have a few dedicated rooms/spaces. Our favorite is a loft area, because it is filled with natural light during the day, and is carpeted. We *love* to sprawl out on the floor and do lessons! The negative about a loft surrounded by railings is that there is minimal wall space.

In the summer, we do a lot of lessons outside on the deck.

Here's our photos:

http://satorismiles.com/homeschool-room-photos/

Edited by Satori

We have a garage that is detached from the house. It was a 3 car garage with a door for one car and another door for 2 cars. The section for one car has been walled off and turned into a room. It actually has its own bathroom and cabinets. They are pretty common here, used as game rooms, man caves or MIL ("Ohana") rooms. It works perfectly as a school room for us.

Err...ignore all my junk, this is how it looks on a normal day, I didn't pretty it up first, lol.

Pic one: entrance (including junk I need to give away) bathroom door is on the left as you enter

Pic two: bathroom with a little washer and dryer (in addition to the one in the house, very nice for beach stuff!)

Pic three: white boards (every has their own)

Pic four: cabinets with fish tank, princess tv and fridge

Pic five: IKEA trofrast systems, this is our version of workboxes, I guess

Edited by Mrs Mungo

More pics

Pic six: you can see the table where I sit and work with the kids individually, as needed and they each have their own desk

Pic seven: we have a cd player and a tape player for our audio books, there are also 2 bulletin boards for whatever the kids want to hang on them

Edited by Mrs Mungo

We have an office that is our "homeschool room." We have four kids and I, like another poster said, have found we need to move about the house during the day. One day I nearly laughed that we were isolating ourselves to this one room when we have an entire house! So we have this room with the books in it and a desk and maps. Sometimes a child works in there, but usually work is taken to the kitchen table, coffee table, or bedroom desk.

We had a separate room in our flat in China. It was about ten feet by eight and was just big enough for a (short) wall of bookshelves, a computer table, a two-person sofa and a table for all of us to work around. It was small, but worked well.

Laura

We've moved about our house a bit. We started off in our dining room and had a bookshelf for school books. As time went on and the number of books grew, I began to keep books in our finished basement. At some point, I decided to follow the books and we moved all our school stuff down, got the children some inexpensive desks from Ikea and all was good, for a while. We found that we didn't really like being in the basement, even though it is large and finished. There isn't enough natural light and I found I always needed to be upstairs doing stuff in the kitchen or something. The children always want to be w/me, so everyone was wondering away from their work, etc. We decided to dedicate our dining room to a school room. We got wall to wall bookshelves from Ikea and moved the desks up. Now, that room holds all our books, paper, writing/drawing tools, paper punches, etc. and the desks. The 4 desks are all butted up to each other making one large table, but we have them partitioned off with peg board, so each child has a back and side wall (2 pieced of peg board joined at a corner like an "L"). We moved our dining room table to what would be a breakfast nook? We just didn't really need 2 tables in adjoining rooms. We still end up at the dining room table for a lot of school that we do together and the children take their math and other books around the house to where they are comfortable. But they do use their desks a lot for drawing and working on various projects they have going. Sometimes I toy with the idea of putting the desks in their rooms and making that room a sitting room/library :001_huh:

Lee, hs'ing 5 w/1 waiting in the wings

We have a garage that is detached from the house. It was a 3 car garage with a door for one car and another door for 2 cars. The section for one car has been walled off and turned into a room. It actually has its own bathroom and cabinets. They are pretty common here, used as game rooms, man caves or MIL ("Ohana") rooms. It works perfectly as a school room for us.

Err...ignore all my junk, this is how it looks on a normal day, I didn't pretty it up first, lol.

Pic one: entrance (including junk I need to give away) bathroom door is on the left as you enter

Pic two: bathroom with a little washer and dryer (in addition to the one in the house, very nice for beach stuff!)

Pic three: white boards (every has their own)

Pic four: cabinets with fish tank, princess tv and fridge

Pic five: IKEA trofrast systems, this is our version of workboxes, I guess

Yes, I've learned that a homeschool house is not as "Better Homes and Gardens" as other houses. However, I love looking at your pictures! The room we have is off from the Master Bedroom, it is called a sitting room but I think it looks like a nice nursery, if that was ever in our future (not happening) so we thought it would be nice to turn into a school room. Right now we use the dining room, but this homeschool idea was thought of after we bought really nice furniture, painted and decorated for a more "formal" feel that we never use, but I don't want to hang posters and other school things in this room. The room does not have doors so closing them isn't a reality. Additionally, my boys are really getting into using starfall and RWT on their laptops and I would like to be able to set up desks for them and just get more "schooly" as I think they'd like that. But, we could still move about the house, but I would like to have central place that is quiet and away from distractions.

thanks for all the ideas and pictures, hope more are posted!

At the beginning of the school year last year, we had our garage converted to a room. I STILL haven't posted pictures of the finished product (mainly because it's usually such a mess, but I need to get over that :D), but here's a link to what I have posted on my blog. (This is "Our School Room" category, so it's anything that relates to our school room at all.)

I love looking at others' rooms, too!