Menu

Concerns re: higher-level math programs... and pro/con listing???

I have read through so many posts on Chalkdust, Lial's, Foerster's, LoF, etc. Is there a somewhat straightforward listing of pros and cons or comparisons for each program anywhere? I'm looking at Algebra 2 and pre-Calc, specifically. But it seems like a lot of people ask the same types of questions I'm asking (or wanting to ask). Obviously there is no one "right" choice for everyone, or even for all the kids in one family! I am just really having a hard time deciding what to do; I just can't seem to wrap my brain around the main options....

CD seems very solid, but I wonder if my kids will find him too long-winded, yet they really want some more direct instruction like the DVDs offer. AND an even bigger concern: if I piece together a less-expensive version, will I run into problems with DVDs not working or compatibility between text/DVDs or something.

Lial's concerns me because I can't find any samples for it, and I heard there were issues with the DVTs not working reliably. I don't know if the text on it's own would offer thorough explanations for truly independent student learning. Can a 15-16yo pick up Lial's Alg2 or pre-calc on her own and just do it, getting a thorough understanding from reading the text? My kids have been doing this with Glencoe, and while they're doing ok, their understanding of why and when and how isn't what it could be. They need someone to help them connect the dots.

Foerster's concerns me because it seems like there is no DVD instruction... AND similar concerns to Lial's in terms of instruction/explanations and truly independent student learning.

Life of Fred seems like it might be a fun way for my dds to connect with math on the literary level, so I'm wondering if that could be done in addition to one of the others... either during this summer or the school year... or if that would be overkill.

And all I want is for them to understand the concepts, be able to apply it, do very well on the ACT/SAT, be well-prepared for college, love learning and enjoy the ride. Yep, that's all I want. ;)

Hmm... now I am confused on this Foerster book/DVD. The publisher says: Algebra II is suitable for a second-year algebra course, a trigonometry course, or a pre-calculus course.

I have one ready to go into Alg 2, and one who just finished Alg 2 (using Glencoe which does include some trig as well). Is the Foerster book a 2-year book? I think of "pre-calc" as being college algebra (alg after alg2) and trig. In fact, I remember college alg/trig being offered ay back when I was in high school. Ideas?

Most people don't use the DVT's or if they do only for one or two lessons. The text is very clear and thorough. Jann in TX once said is was designed for self study. The solutions manual has the answers in step by step formation. My son used for Alg 2 and Pre-Cal and never needed my help. All I did was grade tests and check exercises. He is not a mathy kid but made very good grades with this program and liked the format alot. He doesn't like me standing next to him or looking over his shoulder so this worked great for us and he has retained the materials well.

I am using Lial's along with Math-U-See.

I watch Math-U-See, do the worksheet/s for that day, and then do Lial's for that same topic. I feel it helps to reinforce.

Lial's has about 80 questions for each section, and the odd-numbered questions have answers in the back. I don't have the DVTs since I use Math-U-See, but maybe you could do a combo like I do, or Lials and LoF.

OK, this is really good to hear. Have your kids done any ACT or SAT testing? Just wondering if they've felt well-prepared for those with these programs. (Yes, learning is more important testing well, but with some schools we've looked at they really emphasize the test scores even more for homeschoolers....)

I have used Foersters, Chalkdust, Saxon, and Life of Fred. I am using Life of Fred for the rest of my middle's math and also for the rest of my youngest's. Why? Because it is clear, thoughtful, and doesn't have too many problems. My kids don't need lots of problems to get a concept. LOF has just enough. I was using CD with my middle and decided it was taking too long. I switched her back to LOF and she is already at logs. The explanation has been clear enough that I have finally really understood it. I am hopeful that I will get trigonometry too. (I did fairly well in Calculus and in advanced statistics but always had a problem with logs and trig). I am just confused how to label my dd;s last year of math at home. But that will be another post.