Menu

Why are my squash plants dying?

I've been fighting squash bugs for awhile but suddenly the plants seem to be rotting from the inside out. When I just pushed on the plants a bit to see beneath, the plant just broke off at the stem and inside it looked yellow and grainy, sort of crumbly. The leaves were droopy and yellow, although I don't think it has to do with lack of water because the leaves that still looked healthy were perky and green. I had a hard time pulling the plants out to pitch them because every time I gripped them, they just broke apart in my hands. This is my first year with squash. BTW, it's happening to both the yellow squash and the zucchini. What could cause this?

This is a type of worm/caterpillar. You can purchase a product called Bt, which is an organic biological control. Inject it into the stems. Next year, try covering your squash plants with a fabric row cover until they flower. It must be removed then for pollination. But this might help reduce the number of moths which are able to lay eggs on/near the plants.

Hope this helps.

Lakota

This is a type of worm/caterpillar. You can purchase a product called Bt, which is an organic biological control. Inject it into the stems. Next year, try covering your squash plants with a fabric row cover until they flower. It must be removed then for pollination. But this might help reduce the number of moths which are able to lay eggs on/near the plants.

Hope this helps.

Lakota

:iagree: BTDT. Sorry about your squash!

Wow! You all are like some sort of squash geniuses! I looked up the pics and, while I haven't seen any of the critters in my plants, the squash vine borer has to be the problem. The pics of the affected plants looked just like mine. When I saw the eggs on the leaves, I thought they were the eggs from the squash bugs, especially since I was constantly finding two of them together apparently making baby squash bugs. I'm not sure they can be saved at this point and I've already pulled out some of them, but thanks for solving my mystery.

I looked up the pics and, while I haven't seen any of the critters in my plants, the squash vine borer has to be the problem.

If you cut the stem the long way, starting at the ground and moving outwards, you might be able to see one.

Science experiment!