Menu

BBC Robin Hood question

SPOILER BELOW if you haven't seen Season 2....

My DD6 adores Robin Hood, and I've let her watch selected episodes from Seasons 1 and 2. (Forget Season 3 -- it's dumb.) (Highlight to see) What would you do about the death of Marian at the end of S2? Would you let her watch that episode? She is not a super sensitive girl (has seen and loves LOTR, for example, but that is "serious" and Robin Hood is humorous and campy...and the event referred-to above kind of comes out of left field). She's become attached to these characters. If not, when would you stop watching?

Edited by BikeBookBread

Okay now I'm curious...Is this availble on netflix?

In answer to your question...I'm pretty loose with what I allow my kids to watch (with me mostly present :) .) I probly would let my kids watch it, but I'm not entirely sure what your concern is...is it just that it's "dumb." Then defiantely...I think there does need to be some enjoyable "let down" time.

My 17yo dd is sensitive, and she cried at the end of season 2 at the event you mentioned. (But I thought it was kind of stupid and did not cry). If your dd has seen LOTR, I can't imagine it would bother her, but if she's really "attached" to the characters like you mentioned, maybe it would. You know her best!

To me, the last episode of season 3 is a tear jerker because of ... I don't know how to "hide" the spoiler like you did, so let me just say all the stuff surrounding Alan broke our hearts.

I don't know - it was pretty emotional even though there was absolutely no blood. We joke about how she could have that happen and not get a single spot on her dress. The conversation RH and MM had was very touching but there was so much anger and hate from Guy. I didn't look at your kids ages closely but is it a 6 yo you are talking about? Personally it is a little intense for someone that age I think.

Personally Marian just annoyed me and I wasn't that upset when her character was gone but a young child won't see her as a character but a real person. There were some parts of the whole series that I had my son turn away or cover his ears or leave the room for and he is a few years older and not at all particularly sensitive.

eta: forgot the last part of your question. I would stop watching when they get into the "fort" or whatever it was. Things go downhill pretty quickly from there

Edited by jcooperetc

Okay now I'm curious...Is this availble on netflix?

Seasons 1 and 2 are streaming on Netflix. Season 3 is available via DVD.

For all of those arrows flying and sword fights, it's a glaringly bloodless show. 99 times out of 100, Robin saves the day, so even when it's scary, you pretty much KNOW that it's going to turn out okay (with a few strangely serious exceptions like the original post, as well as her Dad and a few important others...) It's like there are very few "Expendable Redshirts" on the Good Guy Side, but lots of casualties on the Bad Guy side.

We watched one episode a day for the past couple months via instant Netflix--I delayed watching the last episode because of the sadness--but dd said she was ok with "something sad" happening. She was surprised when what happened, happened--and my son said it was dumb to kill off a major character.