Menu

Ipad people...a question

I am seriously getting either a laptop or an ipad. I have a perfectly workable desk top computer at my desk in the schoolroom. And, this would be a luxury item rather than a necessity. I am wondering about using an ipad to write with. How comfortable would you be writing streams of thought on it? Does the screen keyboard feel good? I know I could also buy an external keyboard- anyone have one of those yet?

I am trying to justify buying a portable device, not just for reading things on- and I am leaning toward the ipad for that reason- but also for writing on- say outside in the winter sun or in my bed. What do you think? Would the ipad cut it for that? I have seen the website- it looks like it would- I just would like to hear from people who have one (or have used one). thanks.

Dh has one. I refer to it as the "half-computer". I type 70-something wpm on a keyboard, but am reduced to near-hunt-and-peck on the iPad. It's just too flat and too cramped for good typing. Personally, I would never have one as a primary "computer" device (even if they are fun for other things and basic surfing).

I'm quite content cuddling up in bed with my laptop or using it outside (as I am right now). And I can actually type like a human! Even dh switches back and forth between his laptop and the iPad, depending on the task at hand.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I agree that you cannot type fast on the Ipad. My hands are pretty small and I have a hard time tapping the right one.

Dh has one. I refer to it as the "half-computer". I type 70-something wpm on a keyboard, but am reduced to near-hunt-and-peck on the iPad. It's just too flat and too cramped for good typing. Personally, I would never have one as a primary "computer" device (even if they are fun for other things and basic surfing).

I'm quite content cuddling up in bed with my laptop or using it outside (as I am right now). And I can actually type like a human! Even dh switches back and forth between his laptop and the iPad, depending on the task at hand.

:iagree:

My husband bought me an iPad and I wanted to return it for this exact reason. I also have the key board adapter which is nice but you can not put it on your lap and type comfortably. So you have to put it on a desk or table to use the keyboard which I think defeats the purpose.

The gadget side of me really wants the iPad. But the logical side of me keeps asking "why?" It's basically just a giant iPhone (without the phone), which I already have. It's difficult to type on....which I know would annoy me. And basically the only things it can be used for is surfing the net and movies....which I'd rather do on my laptop, where I can actually store things, and I never watch movies without DH, so we wouldn't watch them on the iPad.

I'm having an internal fight with the gadget side of me LOL. I love new gadgets, but I haven't justified this one yet.

The gadget side of me really wants the iPad. But the logical side of me keeps asking "why?" It's basically just a giant iPhone (without the phone), which I already have. It's difficult to type on....which I know would annoy me. And basically the only things it can be used for is surfing the net and movies....which I'd rather do on my laptop, where I can actually store things, and I never watch movies without DH, so we wouldn't watch them on the iPad.

I'm having an internal fight with the gadget side of me LOL. I love new gadgets, but I haven't justified this one yet.

:iagree: I love technology (which still surprises me family because in another way I would be the sort of person who would love to live in the wilderness without electricity!) . I am trying to justify buying an ipad. But then I am thinking that a laptop would be more practical. The ipad with 3G is only just under $1000 here in Australia, and a 13" apple laptop $1500...so not sure- its not that huge a difference for that type of investment.

Thanks everyone- at least you made that issue clear. Not good for writing my novel on!