Menu

Is it that big of a deal....

charmama4

if I allow dd to do her math facts by just doing the flash cards and not the worksheet? What I mean is, am I just being stubborn and pushing my dd? For some reason I have it in my head that she MUST write them down for better retention, is that wrong? Am I am just a meanie?

You could always get the Flashmaster, though it's pricey.

Doesn't she have to write math facts during her routine math work? I would think flashcards would be just fine. We didn't do facts practice sheets in school, but I learned my math facts.

We are using Saxon 1 at the moment and there's a facts practice sheet along with her 2 sided worksheet. The 2 sided worksheet has maybe 5-6 of the facts on it. The facts practice sheet has 20 of just her facts. I thought about splitting and having her do half now and half later but later never comes, something always comes up.

I would like her to master this but not frustrate her, ya know?

I think it depends on your dd and how she learns best, but the one thing I would watch is the less you require of her to write now... the harder it may be when she gets to longer multiplication/division. There is A LOT of writing when it gets to that point and if she's not used to writing at all that may be a steep learning curve. Maybe you want to cut back, but still require some and gradually increase it. Sometimes we just have to muddle through things we don't like... (I know not all agree with me on that, but really....all of us have things we HAVE to do in a day that aren't "fun"... they just need to get done!):D

Don't fall into the thinking that your learning style extends to your children. FWIW, I learn best by reading and talking aloud. Writing does help, but I'd have to write something multiple times to really retain it, whereas if I read and say it aloud, I can learn it in a much shorter time. Of course, I can still write it once I learn it. :)

I just took a test in one of my college classes. I typed up the study guide questions with all the answers. When that wasn't enough, I wrote out by hand the really tricky concepts. But it wasn't until I just started reading the information aloud, over and over, that it really clicked. I made an A! Yay me!

I am so NOT kinesthetic.