Menu

Cool video: Pictorial Webster's, printed with linotype and hand-bound in leather

Wow...thanks for posting this! This is quite a reminder of why books were once so extremely precious (not that they aren't precious now but...).

I've seen the trade copy of this book and it is really cool, the handbound leather edition must be amazing. You can "look inside" at amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Pictorial-Websters-Visual-Dictionary-Curiosities/dp/0811867188

This is so incredible and beautiful! Also, for me, timely -- I am planning a unit on book printing and the shift from manuscript to print for my daughter's history next year and this will now be a front and center feature!

It also reminded me of a wonderful moment when I was researching for my dissertation and was touring the history department of Oxford University Press in the UK; the director let me hold pieces of type from the 1500s, called the Fell pieces. They were so heavy and so crisply cut and lovely. The computerized process of today seems so lifeless in comparison.

Thank you!!!

P.S. Edited to ask how you ever came across this???