Menu

Vacation ideas for W. Tennesee and N. Miss.

Well, lets see. I've only lived in north MS about 9 months, but I'll give it a go.

In Memphis, you could go to Beale Street (lots of musical history), Graceland, and The National Civil Rights Museum (now housed in a building which surrounds and includes the Lorraine Hotel where Dr. King was assassinated 40 years ago last week). You could also read Mark Twain's Life on the Mississippi then head over to the Mississippi River to see where the steamboat landings were.

Spanning the TN/MS border is Shiloh National Park. We are planning on heading there this summer. I hear it's beautiful. If you want a very entertaining and different view of Civil War history, I recommend reading Confederates in the Attic about Southern, Civil War reenactors. It was this author's description of Shiloh that made us want to visit.

In northern MS, you can visit Elvis' birthplace in Tupelo. Definitely make a visit to Oxford (we'll even have you over for lunch). There is a great literary history here. You can tour William Faulkner's house, visit his grave (bring a pack of Camels to leave), and see the church where he was married (we attend there now... there is also a wonderful cemetery there including a slave cemetery). You can drive past John Grisham's place just outside town. There is a great bookstore here called Square Books where you can get signed copies of many books and just enjoy the ambiance of the nation's favorite small-town bookstore (it was voted that a few years ago). At Off-Square Books you can see the Thacker Mountain Radio program for free on Thursday nights. The square itself is worth a stroll.

The Ole Miss campus is beautiful. You should definitely visit the university museum. They have a wonderful collection of Greek and Roman antiquities and historic scientific instruments. You can actually hike about a mile through Bailey's Woods to get from the museum to Rowan Oak, Faulkner's home. The museum can also provide you with some great maps for various walking tours through town. If you want to continue to discuss the civil rights movement after visiting Memphis, you can see the statue of James Meredith, the first African -American student admitted to the university. The university library also has on display a collection of political cartoons by Clifford Berryman (who was a recipient of the Pulitzer Prize). I think they may also have Faulkner's Nobel Prize in literature on display.

The area also has a ton of campgrounds and parks where you can swim, hike, fish, and camp.

Have a great trip. Maybe we'll bump into you on an outing. (Don't forget to bring sunscreen and LOTS of cold water because it will be hot... it is about 80 here today).