Menu

Help me de-clutter my schedule

ncmomo3

I keep having the same problem year after year- too many subjects in one day.

First: Do you find it more efficient to do subjects like logic, geography, comp., etc., 1-3X weekly all year long OR in 6 week (or so) blocks of time?

Second: I need help with English scheduling to keep it from becoming both too daily heavy AND monotonous. All 3 will be in jr. high. and

grammar and vocab. are not weak areas for them.

All will be doing LL througout the year.

Here are current ideas for grammar, voc., and writing:

1/2 year grammar, 1/2 year vocab. Jump In -all year.

rotate-6 weeks-grammar AND vocab. / 6 weeks Jump In

rotate-3 weeks grammar then 3 weeks vocab. and Jump IN throughout...

OH, HELP AND STOP ME!!

I think I'm in some scheduling vortex.

I am desperately trying not to fall into another burdensome yearly schedule yet not short change any subjects that actually do need daily attention.

I don't like a choppy day, but I really don't like a choppy year--

In other words, if I had to take one over the other, I'd opt for small, frequent lessons over a long period of time, rather than longer lessons for a shorter block of time.

So, if grammar and vocab only take 20 mins each, I would be fine having them all year round (maybe 4 days a week is enough). Writing can be every day, but isn't it usually more some days than others (like, some days will be spent learning content, and some days will be spent writing papers)? Perhaps you can schedule grammar and vocab more lightly on the days when there will be heavy writing.

I'm just so flexible with everything--not everyone can function that way, so I totally understand if you need a "do this today, do this tomorrow," set in stone type schedule.

b/c my dc seem to "forget" what they've learned, esp. diagramming in grammar. What we do is this:

Grammar - 3 days/wk.

Vocab. - 2-3 days/wk (that' my plan for dd11 next year anyway!)

Writing - 5 days/wk (and that will include Jump In! and other writing)

Spelling - 4 days/wk w/ test on Friday

Really, whatever works best for you! Certain subjects I insist on 5 days/wk (like Math and writing...to create the habit and better retention). LA is important, too, but I don't see as much of a need to do all the components of grammar every day, KWIM? Really, don't stress. You don't have to do all subjects every day.

b/c my dc seem to "forget" what they've learned, esp. diagramming in grammar.

YEP. That is exactly what I was afraid that I would hear and I have a feeling that is what would happen here also.

Thanks for letting me know how it has worked for you.

Back to the scheduling board.....

I will be alternating grammar and vocab for my dd13/14. For the reason you are concerned about...too many subjects. However I am using Analytical Grammar. She will do part 2 of this soon, and even though she hasnt done any for several months, this child will pick it up again fairly easily. And she will stop vocab study while she dives into grammar.

It's not ideal, but I prefer it this way with this child. her maths lessons are taking much longer this year and I don't want to bog her down too much.