Menu

I applied for College!!

I did it. I applied as a Pre-Health General Studies major so I can eventually apply into the Radiology program. I am going to a local CC. I did the application already. I also applied for FAFSA. The form came back and said "EFC=0" and "Eligible for up to $5500 in a Pell Grant". What does that mean?

And how long will I have to wait to get an answer from FAFSA as to how much, or how little I would get in aid?

I have to say, homeschooling and going to college is going to be challenging. But I am SO excited!

EFC is your expected family contribution.

The Pell Grant is different than a loan, because it does not need to be repaid.

congratulations :)

So FAFSA and a Pell grant are different? You have to pay FAFSA back, but not a Pell grant? EEEEK, so confusing.

And thank you!

Nono, FAFSA is just the application. Free Application for Federal Student Aid. After you send in the application, they tell you what aid you can get.

Since your income is low (I assume given the EFC/Pell), part of the aid you're qualified for is a grant. If that doesn't meet your needs, the rest may be loans. Someone with more income/assets would get only loans.

If you want someone to go over your FAFSA results with you, the CC probably has a financial aid officer who would look at the actual form you have and explain what it all means. That's their job -- and they answer these kinds of questions all the time and have more knowledge than I do. :P

Nono, FAFSA is just the application. Free Application for Federal Student Aid. After you send in the application, they tell you what aid you can get.

Since your income is low (I assume given the EFC/Pell), part of the aid you're qualified for is a grant. If that doesn't meet your needs, the rest may be loans. Someone with more income/assets would get only loans.

If you want someone to go over your FAFSA results with you, the CC probably has a financial aid officer who would look at the actual form you have and explain what it all means. That's their job -- and they answer these kinds of questions all the time and have more knowledge than I do. :P

oooohhhhh, okay. Do you know how long it takes to get an answer from FAFSA?

Since it spit out "EFC=0" does this mean that I am eligible for this Pell Grant for sure?

And I remember the college telling me that a financial aid person would meet with me when the time came.

This is all so new to me, but glad because I have one applying to college in the fall.

oooohhhhh, okay. Do you know how long it takes to get an answer from FAFSA?

Since it spit out "EFC=0" does this mean that I am eligible for this Pell Grant for sure?

And I remember the college telling me that a financial aid person would meet with me when the time came.

This is all so new to me, but glad because I have one applying to college in the fall.

If you EFC is $0, the college should work with you to help you cover anything the Pell doesn't. If they don't offer it up, ask. We have an EFC over my tuition, but I still asked the college, and I ended up with a few thousand that they offer to transfer students. :D

Whenever they say "scholarship" or "grant," it should mean you don't pay it back.

The college will take it from here. You will get information from them now, wtih the amount of your loans. You will have to sign some things for them accepting your aid. At this point, if you have questions, skip the FAFSA folks and call the CC financial aid.