Menu

Anyone from South Dakota?

I grew up in Sioux Falls, SD. What do you want to know? It's flat, hot in summer, cold with lots of snow in winter, and is big with hunters in the fall who like to go after ring-necked pheasants.

My family moved back to Tennessee when I was 18 so I can't answer any questions about the homeschool climate/laws.

Pegasus

We moved away from South Dakota last August after 4 years there. I absolutely loved our life there and would have stayed forever if it wasn't for dh's job. We homeschooled the first 2 years before sending the girls to PS.

Homeschooling is pretty easy, you have to file a notice of intent every year and test in 2n, 4th and I believe 8th grade either by using the PS test (for free) or buying your own.

I lived in a small town with only a few homeschoolers so there was no support groups or co-op... Sioux Falls has several support groups I believe.

Even though few people actually homeschooled, noone ever said a bad word to us about homeschooling.

Hi! I think hsing in SoDak is a breeze. You fill out a form notifying your school district, they approve it, and you test in 2, 4, 8, and 11th grades, just like the PS kids. That's it.

We are in the Sioux Falls area, and there are several active HS groups; we belong to 2 of them. They do drama, science bowls, quiz bowls, co-ops, music, you name it. I feel very blessed to have landed here. :)

As far as the state generally, the weather can be a challenge if you're not from (or used to) the frozen north, but the people are friendly, the countryside is beautiful, and the sunsets can't be beat. :) I really like living here. Sioux Falls has many amenities, and is close enough to Omaha or the Twin Cities for day or weekend trips to "the big city," if you like that kind of thing. My sis lives in Rapid City, and she really likes it there too.

Do you know where you might potentially wind up?:D

I am from SD, northern Black Hills area. I have lived in SD all my life and love it. It is very easy to homeschool here, the community that we live in is very supportive of us etc.

If this is the area that you are possibly headed for and have more specific questions feel free to send me a pm.

I am from SD, northern Black Hills area. I have lived in SD all my life and love it. It is very easy to homeschool here, the community that we live in is very supportive of us etc.

If this is the area that you are possibly headed for and have more specific questions feel free to send me a pm.

Hi :seeya: We are neighbors! We live in the Wyoming black hills!

To the OP we do not live in South Dakota but we live 7 miles from the border and there are people in our homeschool group from just over the Wyoming border in SD. Here are the SD homeschool laws. From what I hear its not so bad- not quite as easy as Wyoming (we have no testing) but there are states that are worse! If you are fortunate enough to move to the Black Hills area you will LOVE it!