Menu

Anyone use Math U See?

Guest 5FabulousGirls

Guest 5FabulousGirls

I am planning on using Math U See, but am afraid the kids won't get a well rounded year of learning . . .

Has anyone used this math program? What do you think?

Thank you for your help!

Guest ToGMom

:thumbup: We have used MUS for about 5 years -- I have used everything from Primer to Geometry with my clan. We *LOVE* MUS...

I just placed an order with my rep and I will have:

- one studying Algebra 2

- one studying Pre-Algebra, and

- one studying Epsilon

There have been hundreds of threads here about MUS, here are lists of some of them:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5085963

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5085968

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5085975

These are just the threads that include Math-U-See or MUS in the title, I'm sure there are many many others. Discussions of math curricula often get heated, and IME those who don't like a program are less likely to post than those who do, just to avoid the controversy. So I would read some of the previous discussions to get a more complete view of the pros and cons.

Jackie

I absolutely adore MUS. We started with Singapore, but my non-mathy dd really, really struggled with their approach. (FWIW I think Singapore is a good program and would probably have served my ds well, but it was disastrous for dd.) The switch to MUS was wonderful. We love the way Steve Demme explains concepts, and we appreciate being able to stay on one topic rather than skipping around (as opposed to a spiral program like Saxon).

FWIW my dd's standardized test scores for math have been good. MUS seems to be delivering all she needs.

My son, who is very math-oriented, is also doing MUS but will be switching to ChalkDust for junior high level math. I like the foundation in MUS but wanted something more rigorous for the older grades because it is likely ds will be in a math-oriented field as an adult (like his father). Dd will continue with MUS through high school because it has worked so well for her.

We still use the old version of MUS - Foundations, Intermediate, and Advanced levels take a child from counting to ready for algebra! I think the older version was better at being "well rounded" as it didn't focus as much on a single topic at a time. Of course, that sometimes makes it feel like it is jumping around so I'm not sure which way is better. :tongue_smilie:

Pegasus

we really like MUS. i have used it from primer to delta, and my son and now my daughter really like it.

it's strength is that it's a mastery approach...you learn one concept (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, etc) and master it completely before moving on to the next thing. in every lesson there is review of completed concepts, to keep them fresh.

if you read on homeschoolreviews.com, some say that in the upper levels, their kids seem to be falling behind. i can't say from experience because we have not gone that far yet, but we are planning to supplement and / or replace MUS with Life of Fred to make sure that doesn't happen.

My reason for liking MUS is because I understand it and can explain it to my kids. i am NOT a math person, and it is very difficult for me to grasp the whys in a way that i can explain. MUS helps me a lot with this. I can do the math that I need to do and understand it for myself, but helping someone else get it is makes me nervous. MUS takes the guesswork out of it.