Menu

Bathroom Ideas

We are in the brainstorm stages for remodeling our master bathroom. It is a LARGE room. Actually two rooms. As you walk into the first room you would see a door to your right and left and a sink/vanity to your left and another to your right. Directly ahead is wall of windows and an extra-deep whirlpool tub. We open those windows all the time since we rarely turn on the AC.

The door to the left leads to a walk-in closet while the one to the right leads to a large room with a large shower and toilet.

Sounds nice right? While it is except when it was built the previous owners used really, really cheap cabinets, really, really cheap mirrors, really, really cheap tile and installed the most hideous cranberry-red fixtures.

We had an open-house / graduation party this past weekend and folks were asking me when we would be remodeling the bathroom and why hadn't we started in on it yet. That isn't why we are starting the project, it is just that all the other projects we had to do are finally finished. :) (We do all the work ourselves and have completed a remodel of the kitchen, built a patio and a garage and re-did every room in this house except for this bathroom.)

Here's the question --- neither of us have used the extra-deep whirlpool tub in all the years we've lived here and we really didn't use the one in our previous home either. What could we do with that space instead? We can't put a large shower into that space because of all the windows and the second room has a large shower space---it also has the nice exhaust fan. We're talking about a space that is 4' deep by 7' 10" wide. The new vanities will each be 5' in length so it isn't like they need to be any bigger. What would you do with the space other than a whirlpool tub or a soaker tub? Or would you put a soaker tub into that space?

Thanks! :bigear:

Carole

Greenhouse shelves? Those things are usually surrounded by windows.

Turn it into linen storage.

A cedar lined closet?

It's already plumbed for water; how about a steam sauna?

Or maybe a deep window seat for reading - odd in the bathroom, but you can lock people out!

Greenhouse shelves? Those things are usually surrounded by windows.

:( except I don't like indoor plants --- one more thing for ME to take care of.

Turn it into linen storage.

A cedar lined closet?.

Maybe a cedar lined bench/storage area. I wouldn't want to lose the windows.

It's already plumbed for water; how about a steam sauna?
This sounds appealing but I wonder if we could do this and keep the windows? We have them open all summer long since they provide cross-ventilation to our bedroom.

Or maybe a deep window seat for reading - odd in the bathroom, but you can lock people out!

I was wondering about this too. A big sofa lounge chair thingy---that would be different. :)

I guess I would try to preserve the tub for resale. Build on top of it (hiding the tub) --you could still have the window seat and not lose the value of the bathroom. I liked the hot tub idea as well. If you do decide to get rid of the tub, hide the water stuff and future owners can be told to just add the tub (no need to re-plumb).

Lara