Menu

Staring down 40 hours in the car with 3 boys! Need Itouch suggestions!

Two of my kids just got touches for their birthdays (and my youngest can borrow my iphone). Most of the reason we agreed to get them for them was our upcoming very long drive up the east coast. I've been loading them up with apps but I need more! They have $60 to spend on itunes from gift cards from the grandparents, so price is no object (well, more or less). What apps do your kids love? Any good podcasts for kids? Stuff I'm not thinking of? Has anyone done the movie rentals from itunes? How do they work? I'm assuming if we rent one we can only play it once, yes? so if they all wanted to watch it they'd either have to huddle around one ipod or we'd have to pay for it again?

Mine love:

Topple

Red Ball Pro

3D Coaster

Bloons

Doodle Jump

Sunday Lawn

Flight Control

PvZ (Plants vs. Zombies)

SpinArt

ETA: My four year old also likes to play LunchBox (Monkey Preschool Lunchbox) and PreSchool (Giraffe's Preschool Playground).

I think I'm going to buy them Ninjatown: Trees of Doom (it's a climbing game - I don't believe there's any ninja fighting in it). I know I need to find a few more "new" ones to unveil on our trip this summer, so I'm hoping you get some more suggestions. :)

What about audio books? Ds#1 (and sometimes ds#2) love listening to Percy Jackson, so we're getting the fourth book (I think that's the one we're on next) for them to listen to on our trip. I also have some other books on CD that I'm going to import into iTunes and load on the iTouches.

Do you have a Mac at home? If so, you can download the free program HandBrake and then convert your DVDs to MP4s and drop them in your iTunes. I've never done a rental from iTunes before (have thought about it though).

LOOOVE the iTouches! Everyone thought we were nuts, but we got my 5 and 2 year old girls each their own iTouch for Christmas this past year. They are now 6 and 3...it is still the best gift we've ever gotten them. We limit them but that's not usually a problem. They use them in the car a lot.

My kids prefer TV shows over movies, so I loaded them with lots of their favorite shows from iTunes (Jungle Junction, Tigger & Pooh, Scooby Doo, Diego, etc). And if I were going on a long trip, I'd definitely be renting the movies on iTunes. I thought you could watch them as many times as you wanted in 24 hours. It's too expensive to buy them, but renting them is pretty reasonable.

I just checked my kids iTouches and they enjoy the following:

My 3 year old has on hers:

Let's Color (with Curious George)

Five Little Monkeys

Preschool Playground

Martha's Dog Party (Martha Speaks)

When I Grow Up

My Labrador

Cupcakes!

Pet Playpen

Preschool Adventure

Elmo's Monster Maker

Dress Chica

Bounce On

More Pizza!

More Salad!

Chuggington Roundhouse

Ice Cream

Pac Man

Treat Street

Ronald McDonald

Up

My Hair

Diego's Music

Most of those would probably be better suited for your 4 year old....but my 6 year old enjoys a lot of them as well.

On my 6 year old's is most of the ones above, as well as:

Adorable Puppy Jigsaw Puzzles

Crash Bandicoot Nitro Cart

Danger Cats Lite

Doodle Jump

Dots

How to Train Your Dragon

Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs game

Jelly Car

Jelly Car 2

Trace (this game is AWESOME....I play it all the time LOL)

Kid Calc

Little Cook

Littlest Pet Shop

Make a Martian

Pocket Ants

Rhino Ball

Smack It

Tap Tap Revenge

Pooh Bear Kindergarten

Teach Me Kindergarten

Tic Tac Toe

Touch Hockey

Unblock Me

Waterslide Extreme

Zhu Zhu Pets

Whew! That's a lot!! They get iTunes cards for Easter, birthdays, Valentines Day, etc.....they are always wanting more games/shows so we always make sure to get them cards (or have someone else get them).

Thanks! I have an exciting evening ahead of me looking into all of these :)

I guess I could also contribute to my own thread and list the stuff we already have and enjoy:

Angry birds

Froggy Jump

Traffic Rush

Spin Art

Airport Mania

Sneezies

Mad Libs

Yard Sale (we just found this and they LOVE it; it's like an I Spy game; you have to visit "yard sales" and find stuff to decorate your house with)

Finger Physics

Doodle Buddy

Topple