Menu

Printing Math Mammoth Books

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I have lots of card stock around my house for lap books so I used it for the covers (to match the color of the series;)) so I wouldn't waste color ink on the cover, printed the table of contents on the front cover (so I'd know which book it was and I could easily find my way around the book), printed the pages on "fast/draft" mode (THANK YOU to the person who posted about that but whose name I can't remember:blush:) and then comb bound them. It used very little ink (and I printed 5 books), they are nice looking, durable, lie flat, have color and WAY cheaper than having them color printed at Kinkos/Staples/etc :D I have my own comb binder but it's very cheap to have something comb or spiral bound (I like comb because I can easily add pages, which isn't very easy with spiral). Just thought I'd share how I did it in case it might help someone:001_smile:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Thanks for the fast/draft tip, too bad I just printed a few chapters for 2 dcs. I will do it this way next time. I also do everything else the same way you do.

You're welcome :) Though I can't take credit for the fast/draft, I learned it here :D I didn't realize my printer had it because instead of calling it "draft" it calls if "fast." My dd LOVES workbooks (don't know where I went wrong;):lol:) and was so excited when she found out what I was doing last night!

I just hole punch and into a binder :)

I start using fast draft. When it starts to break up, then I use fast normal, and when that starts to break up, then normal. When that starts to break up, best :)

I think it is nearly DRY when I am done with it. I can get over 1000 pages on one hp cartridge.

I also use only black and white for most of the Math mammoth. DD6 doesn't seem to notice. I notice in a few, but since I read her the directions, I tell her right or left if there is a referral to color. DD11 doesn't refer to color at all.

I have lots of card stock around my house for lap books so I used it for the covers (to match the color of the series;)) so I wouldn't waste color ink on the cover, printed the table of contents on the front cover (so I'd know which book it was and I could easily find my way around the book), printed the pages on "fast/draft" mode (THANK YOU to the person who posted about that but whose name I can't remember:blush:) and then comb bound them. It used very little ink (and I printed 5 books), they are nice looking, durable, lie flat, have color and WAY cheaper than having them color printed at Kinkos/Staples/etc :D I have my own comb binder but it's very cheap to have something comb or spiral bound (I like comb because I can easily add pages, which isn't very easy with spiral). Just thought I'd share how I did it in case it might help someone:001_smile:

I'm thinking of getting a binding machine. Is that what you have? I didn't know you could add pages after binding it with a comb. How would that work? I was thinking of something like this: http://www.amazon.com/GBC-CombBind-Desktop-Binding-7704230/dp/B000SBNYH2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1276651053&sr=8-2

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I'm thinking of getting a binding machine. Is that what you have? I didn't know you could add pages after binding it with a comb. How would that work? I was thinking of something like this: http://www.amazon.com/GBC-CombBind-Desktop-Binding-7704230/dp/B000SBNYH2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1276651053&sr=8-2

I have a similar one. When you comb bind something nothing is sealed. The binder stretches open the comb ends so you can put the pages on it. You can open/close the comb as many times as you want to take the pages on/off, insert more pages, remove pages, etc. I LOVE my comb binder!!! I used to put things in binders but the pages have a tendency to tear out, and they take up more room.

I have a similar one. When you comb bind something nothing is sealed. The binder stretches open the comb ends so you can put the pages on it. You can open/close the comb as many times as you want to take the pages on/off, insert more pages, remove pages, etc. I LOVE my comb binder!!! I used to put things in binders but the pages have a tendency to tear out, and they take up more room.

Thanks Cheryl. Time to order...

Cheryl, what brand/model do you have? Can you use any brand of combs with any binding machine? I'm liking the idea of making MM workbooks for DD7 (who loooves workbooks :blink: ) and it seems like it would be even easier than taking pages in and out of ring binders.

Jackie

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Cheryl, what brand/model do you have? Can you use any brand of combs with any binding machine? I'm liking the idea of making MM workbooks for DD7 (who loooves workbooks :blink: ) and it seems like it would be even easier than taking pages in and out of ring binders.

Jackie

This is the one I have, and I bought it from that website. It's cheaper there than on Amazon.com and was on sale with free shipping when I bought it:D

http://www.mybinding.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/2239/GBC-CombBind-C110-Manual-Comb-Binding-Machine-7704240

Yes, you can use any brand of combs with it. I buy the generic brand at the same website as above. You have to pay a bit more out because they are in bulk but you get a LOT more than if you buy them at Staples/Office Max/etc.

I find it much easier than binders and the pages less likely to tear out. I have the spines cut off a lot of things (teacher manuals, all workbooks, etc) and comb bind them. One year I had several things spiral bound before and just didn't like it as well because I couldn't open them up easily and didn't have a spiral hole punch. You can fold them completely the opposite way (which you can't do with comb binding because of the solid part) but you can label the solid part of the comb binding.

Our dd's sound a lot alike. She does prefer having a "workbook" over doing single pages removed from a binder but wouldn't mind much as long as I gave her lots of pages to do:001_huh: If only my boys had loved workbooks like she does:lol: It will be interesting to see what my #4 and #5 children like:tongue_smilie: