Menu

Last day to help German homeschoolers get hs freedom...

This is the last day to sign the petition. (ETA - it ends today the 16th but European time!)

Some people have wondered if it will help if you are not German. But the German homeschoolers have requested that outsiders sign.

They say that it will help the issue become known and that it will help people find out that it is possible.

So please sign and get your children to sign as well. Any age can sign.

You can do so through different sites.

The simplest to understand is HSLDA - but it is not their petition. I believe it is actually by an unschooler.

The petition in German

An explanation with some translation

HSLDA's directions

IMPORTANT - once you have gotten permission from the site, you will be linked to the list of all the petitions being presented for all kinds of different things. BUT if you go back to HSLDA's website, the second link brings you exactly to the petition itself with instructions about which hyperlinks to click.

Thanks for the German homeschoolers.

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

Am I the only person who was offended by the title part of the sign up?

"Title: Woman or Mr."

What???!

Almost certainly a literal translation of Frau, which *does* mean woman, but is also German for Mrs. Blame the translation. :P

Almost certainly a literal translation of Frau, which *does* mean woman, but is also German for Mrs. Blame the translation. :P

Thanks Kiana...

Tigersgrowl - first Thank you so much for wanting to help!...but it's important to not get offended easily in mixed culture interactions. There are so many variables in different cultures and we have to look at the heart of the situation.

Many people there do not have the time to make a message exactly perfect, they're treading as fast as they can and don't know all other cultures sensibilities.

The heart of the situation is that they do not have the freedom that you have. A couple of years ago there was a 15 yo girl taken out of school by her parents because she had failed the exams and they wanted to help her. She was taken away from her family and put in a foster home!

There are many stories far worse than this one, but since it is about a teen leaving school, I thought you could relate.

Cadam - thanks for the parallel societies answer.

Also, for Jane - The authorities tend to hang on to the part of the law that says that schooling has to take place in a school (ie not at home). That's why there is the push in the campaign for them to recognize that schooling does not have to be "in an official school building".

The public knows very little about homeschooling and although there are some positive "press" stories, some of the "press" is just trying to make the homeschoolers look like troublemakers.

For everyone - I should have put "Last 24 hours" because it ends today but European time, which I forgot to explain.

If everyone and their children on the WTM forum would sign up, they would have more than enough votes!

Thanks to all who make the effort!

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva