Menu

Muslim posters: how do you do religious studies?

I'm fed up with all the Islamic curricula I've tried. I've got a high schooler, a middle schooler, and two at elementary level. Everything seems so babyish on the elementary levels, and lacking in concrete information. Or poorly produced. Everything I've seen at middle/high school level seems to have a depressing, dogmatic tone.

For my high schooler, I'm leaning toward using the Quran (Asad translation), a good tafseer, and living books from some of my favorite authors.

I'm not sure how to implement this approach on the younger levels.

What do you all do/use?

Suggestions for tafseer?

BTW, I don't need Arabic language materials; got that covered.

Thanks,

Amy

Salaam Amy, I'm often in the same boat as you. I completely concur with you about Islamic studies curricula. I can never find exactly what I'm looking for.

I guess my first question would be what you are aiming for with your Islamic studies program. I think, for us, we kind of separate it into Qur'anic studies and Islamic history. Other things like du'as or Islamic rituals we kind of do piecemeal as they come up irl. Most curricula I've seen blend all this together, so a chapter on a short surah, followed by a chapter on one segment of Muhammad's life, followed by a hadith, followed by a story about a prophet, etc. I find this really disjointed, and they never seem to get beyond Juz 'Amma, lol.

So what I'm looking at for this year:

Qur'an. I generally follow from the Hifz classes the boys are in, so whatever surah they're memorizing we look at different tafsir, vocab, etc. With my younger ds, as you know, I try to put together little activity sheets for him to do, which he seems to enjoy and I can tie in extra reading. My oldest really likes listening to lectures/discussions, so I also look for things online to listen to. Dh and I are careful to listen along with ds so we can discuss anything questionable that comes up.

History. I want to focus this year on reviewing Seerah and the period of the Khulafa ar-Rashidun. I'm hoping to get to Chicago in a a couple of weeks and want to look at the books and workbooks from Iqra'; also I have their series on the Sahabah and am working on some workbooks to go along with those. I have found with their books that when it says for a higher level, it really works for a lower level, at least in my experience.

I must say I have had a hard time finding a tafseer that is really suitable for kids. The ones I've seen come across really for very small children to me. And not what I would use even for my smallest, they just aren't my style, kwim? Maybe that's just me. I think for my middle schooler, for example, I might use more ibn Kathir's tafseer, an abridged one, which seems to focus more on giving historical context and meaning of individual words than broader interpretation. Maybe look for tie-ins to hadiths to read? We have one book on Asbab an-Nuzul, which goes into where and why some verses were revealed; maybe that would be good for a middleschooler? I'm kind of brainstorming here, and looking forward to more replies...

I'm fed up with all the Islamic curricula I've tried. I've got a high schooler, a middle schooler, and two at elementary level. Everything seems so babyish on the elementary levels, and lacking in concrete information. Or poorly produced. Everything I've seen at middle/high school level seems to have a depressing, dogmatic tone.

For my high schooler, I'm leaning toward using the Quran (Asad translation), a good tafseer, and living books from some of my favorite authors.

I'm not sure how to implement this approach on the younger levels.

What do you all do/use?

Suggestions for tafseer?

BTW, I don't need Arabic language materials; got that covered.

Thanks,

Amy

I've seen some odd books for Muslim youth too!

My husband and I were just discussing when to send them to the Masjid for classes. Eventually I'll send them to a Sunday class when I'm ready to switch our school week to 4 days instead of 5.

We have a beautiful book collection that they will use in high school.

For now they go for Jum'ah. I love that home schooling them gives them the opportunity to make it. They get a lot out of that.

We read and live..

Maybe that's not enough, I don't know? There's always someone here in the house to bring lively debate and discussion. They've grown up in a vibrant atmosphere when it comes to religious studies, but nothing overly formal.

We do have Tafseer set, but I'm also hoping our Masjid will start a girls class for it. A different Masjid in the neighborhood offers them for 12-14 yrs. I think that's an important age for them to be there.

Other than that, my husband downloaded a whole curriculum (K-12 I think) from a school in England, we'll probably make it a summer project to go through it.

Thanks for bringing this up, I need motivation to get on it. :)

I must say I have had a hard time finding a tafseer that is really suitable for kids. The ones I've seen come across really for very small children to me. And not what I would use even for my smallest, they just aren't my style, kwim?

Have you seen these from Iqra? What do you think? All I have is the one on short surahs.

I just saw this GCSE Islam book by Ruqaiyyah Waris Maqsood.

I have the GCSE book, but haven't looked at it much (and it's back home in UAE, so I can't look at it for a few weeks). I have some of the Iqra books on the page you linked. My recollection about the senior-level books is that they are pretty much translations with very little commentary. I don't remember much tafsir in there at all.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for in tafsir for kids at this point. Maybe that's part of my problem. Hopefully I'll be visiting Iqra's bookstore in a few weeks and can get a better idea what might work for us...

I guess my first question would be what you are aiming for with your Islamic studies program.

Well, we want them to have knowledge of basic beliefs and practices; also Quran, hadith, and how they work together to produce law and guidance, and how a Muslim should figure out what Islamic law says on any given issue. Also Islamic history. For tajweed we have a great teacher :).

I had been thinking of Ibn Kathir for the high school level, mainly because it's the only one I know of; I didn't know there was an abridged version. I need to look for that.

Other things like du'as or Islamic rituals we kind of do piecemeal as they come up irl.

This is us too. But I think I'm a little weak on the du'as--not that those are really difficult to find. I just need to put in the effort there.

:)

Eventually I'll send them to a Sunday class... For now they go for Jum'ah. I love that home schooling them gives them the opportunity to make it. They get a lot out of that.

I'm not really happy with the weekend classes available locally, although that can always change. We go to Jumuah, too, and I'm so grateful that we can!

Thanks Helena!

Have either of you looked at Bilal Phillips' Islamic Studies curriculum? I keep seeing it in bookstores, but as it seemed geared towards older kids I never looked very closely...

I've looked at the sample pages online. It looks very thorough, but kind of... dry. Maybe I'm being too picky--I was just hoping for something engaging, vibrant, kwim? Like some Muslim authors that I really enjoy reading and listening to.

Also, I can't tell from the sample pages whether these books include some of the pitfalls of my current curriculum: a tendency to dwell at length on the horrors of hell, entire chapters devoted to what's wrong with other religions, etc. Yes, hell is real (in our belief), and yes, we disagree with some of the teachings of other faiths, but I just don't like the way these things are sometimes presented.

Maybe someone else is more familiar with the Bilal Phillips books?

You can see inside some of Iqra's books, but they don't make it obvious how to. Or at least I always miss that giant magnifying glass.

For the short surahs book, the look inside is here. Several of the others have the look inside feature as well.

I actually kind of like the look of this. It's more the sort of concrete information I was looking for.

For the elementary level, we like "I Love Islam", which is for grades 1-5, one book each year. Then, for middle school, there is "Learning Islam", levels 1, 2 and 3 for grades 6, 7 and 8.

These are very colorful, well-produced textbooks following a modern methodology, with discussion questions and project/writing topic suggestions at the end of each chapter.

The Iqra website also has some good suggestions for middle/high school. for example, we bought a couple of books from their recommended middle school curriculum, "A Study of Hadith" and "Islamic Tahdhib and Akhlaq", which were very well-done. Many of their books at the elementary level seem more classroom-focused and a bit dry, but these are more appropriate for individual study.

Personally, I enjoyed "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Islam". Obviously, it is written for a non-Muslim audience, but it is very thorough and does a great job of addressing all aspects of Islamic studies, in one compact package. It would be a good place to start with, say, a 9th grader, to make sure they have a broad base of general knowledge from which to springboard onto more indepth study.

HTH insha'Allah,

I'm not really happy with the weekend classes available locally, although that can always change. We go to Jumuah, too, and I'm so grateful that we can!

Thanks Helena!

Yeah, A few years ago I took the girls to a class, I went in with them (thankfully) it turned out there was a mix up, and the teacher didn't show up. So there I was in this class with boys and girls, and no teacher. The kids didn't even notice me, they were out of control. The boys were gross, and the girls just said a lot of "shut up" type stuff.

I was so turned off. We never went back.

Our Masjid offers a Sunday class, that seems to go all day. We have such a crazy schedule, the whole family will have to rearrange the way we operate to make it work smoothly. I never want it to be horrible. My kids go Fridays without me often, they love it. Their dad does his thing and they do theirs. Everything they do is with a happy heart and they always come home wanting to talk about it.

I worry that if classes are to much, it will change the dynamics of how they feel about being there.

For us timing is everything.

Edited by helena

Then, for middle school, there is "Learning Islam", levels 1, 2 and 3 for grades 6, 7 and 8.

These are very colorful, well-produced textbooks following a modern methodology, with discussion questions and project/writing topic suggestions at the end of each chapter.

You know, this sounds like what I'm using now for upper elementary and middle school. There is certainly a lot to like about it. I'm just having some issues with the tone of some chapters, such as the ones about hell, and about other faiths. I will probably stay with these books if I don't find something I like better, and skip the chapters that are problematic for me.

Personally, I enjoyed "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Islam".

LOL--I own this, and forgot that I have it!

Thanks,

Amu

We don't really have the equivalent of a "Sunday School" type program here. The kids go for hifz four nights a week; it's the traditional method, with maybe 30 kids ranging in age from late teens down to 4 yr olds, they recite with each other and each child takes a turn reciting with the imam individually. I guess the kids are progressing ok, but more I like the exposure to spoken Arabic -- my kids are the only westerners. But there is no discussion of meanings or tafsir or anything, it is strictly memorizing.

Fridays have become pretty much a father-son outing; dh takes the boys for prayers then they stop somewhere afterwards for some playtime and treats.

For du'as, thankfully my dh has really taken charge of that. It's one area where I feel at a distinct disadvantage being a convert, dh grew up learning all the du'as and I feel like I'm playing catch-up.

I guess I don't really know what I want from a curriculum, that's probably a big part of my problem. In the past I have spent a semester on the five pillars, then second semester on the articles of faith (Allah, books, messengers, angels, Last Day, Qadr). So like we'd study Salah for a month and I'd find whatever resources I could to learn about that, extra reading, etc.; then a month each on Zakah, Sawm, etc. Maybe I'll try that again.

In the past I have spent a semester on the five pillars, then second semester on the articles of faith (Allah, books, messengers, angels, Last Day, Qadr). So like we'd study Salah for a month and I'd find whatever resources I could to learn about that, extra reading, etc.; then a month each on Zakah, Sawm, etc.

I like this! It could make a great change of pace--like in any other subject, taking a break from the curriculum to do unit studies.

We split our study into 4:

- Arabic.

- art of Quranic recitation and reading.

- Quranic study and memorization.

- Islamic study.

For Islamic study, I'm doing "I love Islam" with my kids. The series is very good because not only it gives Islamic knowledge, but also gives them motivation to do whatever is taught (e.g. to perform sholat, adzkar, etc) via ahadeeth, stories and Quranic verse. This is what is usually missing in most textbooks.

It also tries to relate whatever moral it teaches with our daily lives and also encourages students to reflect on what they are taught. So, discussion of arkanul iman, for instance, does not only involve memorizing what they are, but also the whys and application in someone's life.

For Quranic memorization and tafseer, we use Ad-Duha tafseer and imaanstar.org software.

For tajweed and Quranic reading, we use Quranic reading curriculum from Indonesia.

For Arabic, we use Madinah Arabic book but move verrrryyyyy slowly.

Then, for middle school, there is "Learning Islam", levels 1, 2 and 3 for grades 6, 7 and 8.

AHASRADA, I made a mistake in my reply to you earlier. These books are *not* the ones I am using and having problems with. I've just found the "Learning Islam" books online and really like the look of them. These may be my new middle school curriculum!

Thanks and sorry for the mistake :)

Oh, and the elementary curriculum (I Love Islam) looks intelligent! I didn't think one like this existed--thank you for mentioning it!

Edited by Amy in TX

I'm doing "I love Islam" with my kids. The series is very good because not only it gives Islamic knowledge, but also gives them motivation to do whatever is taught (e.g. to perform sholat, adzkar, etc) via ahadeeth, stories and Quranic verse. This is what is usually missing in most textbooks.

It also tries to relate whatever moral it teaches with our daily lives and also encourages students to reflect on what they are taught. So, discussion of arkanul iman, for instance, does not only involve memorizing what they are, but also the whys and application in someone's life.

I think this is the series for elementary mentioned above by AHADRASA? I've been looking at it on noorart.com and am very impressed.

:)

Yes, Amy. "I Love Islam" looks like what AHADRASA uses.

One more thing I love about "I Love Islam". Whenever it tells prophet's stories, it always includes the ibrah or lesson we can learn from it. So for instance, when it tells a story about prophet Adam and how iblees persuades them to eat the forbidden fruit, it reminds the students that shaytan will always do that as long as they live, and relates that incident with what Allah tells in surah An-Nas. And therefore, the book teaches that everybody should say , "Aoodzoobillah" when they think shaytan is on the brink of persuading them to do bad things, and then say, " Astaghfirullah" when they actually fall into sin.

Or in Qabil and Habil story, the text reminds the student to never let anger to get the better of them because when anger comes, it becomes easier for shaytan to persuade them to do bad things. Qabil killed Habil because of jealousy and anger. Therefore, when somebody is angry, they should do what the prophet did, e.g. sit down, do wudhu, and not saying anything.

Finally, we also like the song and some of the workbook activities. My children do not care for the stories in the CD, but they do like the song.

So go ahead, Amy. Press that buy button in noorart site ....:lol:

Edited by mom2moon2

• 2 months later...

I'm pulling this back up, because now I'm in full planning mode; I'm wanting to get back to our full schedule next week. This week was a short week because of 'Eid holidays, so we've been doing half-days. I'm trying really hard to get my thoughts organized, so I thought I'd just write it out here and y'all can give me your thoughts/advice, or ignore it, lol.

We have bought so many Islamic Studies curricula over the years, even this summer, it's not even funny. I'm sitting here with a huge stack next to me, lol. What I'm having a hard time grasping is this "spiral method" so many seem to use; where they only have bits of Seerah, for example, with the idea that if you use their curriculum for 12 years you will eventually get the whole story. Especially for history, I'm not understanding how children will retain it if they have three weeks learning about one segment of Muhammad's life, then next year another three weeks on the next bit. Is there supposed to be review that you add in yourself? Not to mention we won't be using the program for 12 years.

So we're doing Islamic history separately; and although I see earlier in this thread I talked about doing seerah and the khulafa' this year, dh and I are now agreed on doing only seerah -- Makkah period 1st sem and Madinah period 2nd sem. I have a few resources to use:

Books

Martin Lings' Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources

Tariq Ramadan's In the Footsteps of the Prophet: Lessons from the Life of Muhammad

ibn Hisham's Life of the Prophet (series adapted for children)

اطفالنا في ظلال السيرة النبوية (Atfalnaa fi Dhilaal as-Sirah an-Nabawiyyah, children's series in Arabic)

Iqra's Stories of the Sirah

Johnson-Davies' The Battles of the Prophet Muhammad

Johnson-Davies' The Companions of the Prophet Muhammad

Textbooks/Workbooks

Iqra's Mercy to Mankind

Iqra's Messenger of Allah

Activity Books

Goodword's Sirah Story Mazes

Audio

Hamza Yusuf's series on Muhammad

Additionally, I'm pretty sure I'll go back to unit studies, so Arkaan al-Imaan one semester and Arkaan al-Islam the next. The Iqra' textbook/workbook series Our Faith and Worship lays it out this way, so I'll use that as a base and expand from there. I've noticed it's heavy in the Arkaan al-Islaam part (several chapters on each pillar), but less so in the Arkaan al-Imaan part (one chapter for each), so I'll need to do some supplementing there. I think that's where I can pull things from some of the other curricula we've bought.

I'm also toying with maybe doing a morals/manners/hadith kind of thing? Like maybe choose a topic a week and try to memorize the relavent hadiths or read related stories or something.. has anyone done something like this, or have any ideas? I have Rauf's Qur'an for Children and Ahadith for Children, that divide up Ayah's and Hadiths by topic, so maybe I could use those as a place to start...

I'm also toying with maybe doing a morals/manners/hadith kind of thing? Like maybe choose a topic a week and try to memorize the relavent hadiths or read related stories or something.. has anyone done something like this, or have any ideas? I have Rauf's Qur'an for Children and Ahadith for Children, that divide up Ayah's and Hadiths by topic, so maybe I could use those as a place to start...

You might want to look at In the Prophet's Garden by Fatima D'Oyen and Abdelkader Chachi, published by the Islamic Foundation. It has 200 or so ahadith in English and Arabic (no transliteration), on nice, glossy paper, organized topically. The ahadith range dramatically in length. I have been wanting it for a long time and finally got it. I am thinking copywork or memorization or something.

I hate what I've seen of sirah in textbooks for kids for the reasons you've elaborated, and it's just too simple and uninteresting, with a very textbooky feel. I am delighted to have your list.

I've seen excerpts of this one online that's published by Iqra: A History of Muslim Civilization by Huseyin Abiva Noura Durkee and (she's also got quite a few books about various companions and other notable figures; excerpts also available from Google Books). I'm tempted to do it as a read-aloud for younger children just because all the others are drips and drabs and really not interesting.

I have Islam for Children by von Denffer; while it's not exactly comprehensive, and is sort of old, my kids seem to like it. It may be a bit young for your kids, though, Kate. Each prophet has a few pages, with Prophet Muhammad having more coverage, as well as the basics of belief and actions, as well as crafts like sundial and compass that are actually USEFUL. The Iqra Prophets of Allah book series has much longer stories about each prophet. I bought all but the last one. I am not sure why it was not available, but hopefully I will be able to track it down.

By the way, here is Iqra's curriculum, in case this is useful to anyone.

Edited by stripe

I'd like to take some time and go through this awesome list of resources. :)

For right now, I'll just say that we have started using the I Love Islam series discussed above for my grade schoolers and my middle schooler. So far I am liking it better than what I've used in the past; it seems to be going somewhat more in depth at all levels.

Also, for my high schooler, I've decided to use the book Vision of Islam by Murata & Chittick. I read this book myself in the past and loved it--it's an exhaustive treatment of the religion that Hamza Yusuf has used to teach a course from in the past. We'll probably take two years to go through it; it's incredibly dense and deep. :) And it doesn't have that indefinable something that so turns me off--black/white simplicity? I can never articulate it properly, lol.

BTW, I love HY's Muhammad series of cds mentioned above. I'd highly recommend it for middle school and up.

BTW, I love HY's Muhammad series of cds mentioned above. I'd highly recommend it for middle school and up.

Because you have a dd in highschool, I wanted to mention that I am currently listening to Hesham al-Awadi's lecture series on women in Islamic history, Women Inspired by the Beloved (if you scroll down the page you can listen to it online). I am really enjoying it (my caveat, I haven't finished the whole thing yet); he is speaking to a college-level/young adult audience, I believe.

Have you seen One Thousand Roads to Mecca, a compilation by Michael Wolfe of narratives concerning the Hajj spanning 10 centuries? It's divvied up chronologically and I am planning to use extracts for outlining in History for my 8th grader.

DD just did a comparative write up on the Cave of Hira story, comparing the version in SOTW and the narration in Bukhari. We're still trying to find out what's the source for the version in SOTW, as it's quite unusual. But I thought it would be a good exercise for dd to compare the two narrations, understand primary and secondary sources, as well as training oneself to suspend judgement long enough to write a fair summary of a seemingly inauthentic narration.

Just thought I'd share! We haven't really done much outlining before, so time to catch up.....

Have you seen One Thousand Roads to Mecca, a compilation by Michael Wolfe of narratives concerning the Hajj spanning 10 centuries? It's divvied up chronologically and I am planning to use extracts for outlining in History for my 8th grader.

DD just did a comparative write up on the Cave of Hira story, comparing the version in SOTW and the narration in Bukhari. We're still trying to find out what's the source for the version in SOTW, as it's quite unusual. But I thought it would be a good exercise for dd to compare the two narrations, understand primary and secondary sources, as well as training oneself to suspend judgement long enough to write a fair summary of a seemingly inauthentic narration.

Just thought I'd share! We haven't really done much outlining before, so time to catch up.....

I haven't seen this, but it sounds like a great set of primary sources. I'd like to check it out. And what a great exercise with the Cave stories--I may steal that idea. :)

We're still trying to find out what's the source for the version in SOTW, as it's quite unusual.
Write to the publisher directly. I did on another issue I had with the book, and although I did not find their answer terribly satisfactory to me personally, they did explain why they wrote what they did and what resource they had. I would imagine it wouldn't be the first time they've been asked about that particular part (although I haven't asked myself).

Btw I still use and enjoy the series, we've used it for the past six years and are starting on vol 4 this year (still on our first rotation, we've averaged 2 yrs per volume). I skip the parts I take issue with, or supplement; but I do think it's valuable and important to ask for sources if there's a question, kwim?

It is hard to find good materials. I have used multiple levels from Iqra' and feel that it is one of the best as far as easy implementation and is pretty engaging.

For history I have used the Illustrated History of Islam . Another title I really like is What Islam is All About by Yahya Emerick.

Tonight I am going to the open house at our weekend school and I will let you know what they are using for the levels that you mentioned.

Lesley

For history I have used the Illustrated History of Islam .

I love the description of this on the back from its back cover, I must say. It certainly makes me curious....

Islamic history is the most thrilling theme under the sun. This soul-stirring volume is the first of its kind in the world which is purposely punctuated by over 200 pictures and maps. Simple and inspiring in style, this memorable masterpiece makes it an enlightening reading for all ages and places.

By the way, Destiny Disrupted: A History of the World Through Islamic Eyes by Mir Tamim Ansary is a narrative history; the author read Van Loom and Hillyer as a child.

Just wanted to add that one of the weekend schools in our area uses this curriculum http://www.weekendlearning.com/index.html

From what I know of the people who attend this particular school, I could guess that it is not like what Bilal Philips presents. [And yes, I get what you mean about his writings. I have used his series in a class for new Muslims and did not find it very appealing.] My friends have been very happy using and teaching the Weekend Learning curriculum. I believe the website has samples of some of the books. Just for clarification though, I personally have not throughly investigated the author and publisher.

Lesley

Btw I still use and enjoy the series, we've used it for the past six years and are starting on vol 4 this year (still on our first rotation, we've averaged 2 yrs per volume). I skip the parts I take issue with, or supplement; but I do think it's valuable and important to ask for sources if there's a question, kwim?

Wow how do you have the discipline to stick with sotw fpr so long, I would keep getting sidetracked!

Wow how do you have the discipline to stick with sotw fpr so long, I would keep getting sidetracked!
Lol, because my kids love it; they love history, they love the way we're studying history, they ask to "do history" pretty much every day. Yes, for years, lol. I will give a lot of credit to SOTW for helping me develop that love in my children.

If they didn't like it, or were indifferent, perhaps I would have had a harder time sticking with it; but if something works, I run with it, kwim? :)

And once we (hopefully) finish the series this year, my dd will be starting 1st grade next year and I'll get to start it all over again; plus my then-5th grader has never done vol 1, he was too little when we started, so I'll start him in it again. Not sure if I'm excited or tired at the thought of that, but it has been quite a while since we've formally studied the ancients.

I'll just be glad when my youngest gets the hang of reading and I can start getting rid of all the learn-to-read, beginning reader books I have stockpiled. I'm happy, but wistful, now that I'm doing things for the (hopefully) last time with my youngest..

• 2 weeks later...