Menu

Dh is thinking of joining the military!!!!

Besides, what could possibly be hotter than a Sailor (and submariners are REAL Sailors) in a crackerjack uniform?

Because really, it all boils down to what branch has the best uniforms. Navy wins, hands down.

Nah. Camos like the Army & Marines wear are WAY sexier. Especially when they've got their jacket off and are just wearing the t-shirt & pants :drool5:

No branch of the US military accepts recruits who have felony convictions.

Under certain conditions, a recruit with a misdemeanor conviction may get a waiver to join. These waivers are few and far between and entirely dependent upon what the conviction was for.

asta

You are right. I meant "criminal record" not felony. I should have watched what I was writing.

Nah. Camos like the Army & Marines wear are WAY sexier. Especially when they've got their jacket off and are just wearing the t-shirt & pants :drool5:

:iagree:The new Navy camo is just weird, sorry. Are you supposed to blend in with the ocean? And blue suede boots...really? :confused: ;) :lol:

I'm voting for dh's hot flight suit! nothing better than a guy dressed like a pickle lol

:iagree:

Besides, what could possibly be hotter than a Sailor (and submariners are REAL Sailors) in a crackerjack uniform?

Because really, it all boils down to what branch has the best uniforms. Navy wins, hands down.

My dh never wore Cracker jacks but I prefer the Dress Blues anyway. Although they are going through a big overhaul and did away with the Khaki's and now have what they call The Navy Working Uniform, which is basically just blue/grey camos. I've heard they are looking into overhauling the Cracker Jack uniform as well.

Now back to the original post, I had typed up a nice long response yesterday but it got zapped away to the cyber wasteland, so here I go.

You've gotten some great advice. I don't know what service would be best but there are a few things I haven't seen mentioned (although I may not have read all the responses thoroughly enough)

Now I'm only speaking from a Navy standpoint because that's all I know, as an officer, if he can go in that way, he would get more pay, but he would have to pay for all of his uniforms out of his paycheck, he won't get a uniform allowance like enlisted get, he also would get food on the ship for free, he'd have to pay for that. When in port our bill is about $50 a month, but when they are at sea it usually runs about $200-$250. Everyone gets a housing allowance if they don't live in military housing, but it's based on area so it may or may not cover your full rent/house payment depending on where you live and what house/apartment you choose.

I have really enjoyed our time so far (dh has been in for 15 years and we've been married for 13) and it's nice to see different places, but it has it's not so fun times too, schedules can change at a moments notice. Sure ship deployments are a little more known in advance but they also change easily or can be extended and there is about 4-6 months before it when they do what are called "Work ups" which is basically taking the ship out to make sure all is working as it should and that the crew is trained properly, this means a crazy schedule. Sometimes a week out, weekend in, 3 weeks out, a week in, and so on.

Just a few things to think on. Above all else anyone that is thinking of joining should be prepared to leave, I don't care what any recruiter tells you, deployments are a way of life in the military and it will happen. more often sooner than later.

:iagree:The new Navy camo is just weird, sorry. Are you supposed to blend in with the ocean? And blue suede boots...really? :confused: ;) :lol:

Where did you see Blue Suede boots? My dh has the NWU (Navy Working Uniform) and the boots aren't blue nor are they suede, just basic black combat boots.

Where did you see Blue Suede boots? My dh has the NWU (Navy Working Uniform) and the boots aren't blue nor are they suede, just basic black combat boots.

The Navy guys at DH's work (joint) have blue suede boots! Granted, it could just be a SOF thing. Looking at the reg, looks like the suede boots are authorized for non-ship duty. Looks like they are supposed to be black, but they don't look black to me.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

The Navy guys at DH's work (joint) have blue suede boots! Granted, it could just be a SOF thing. Looking at the reg, looks like the suede boots are authorized for non-ship duty. Looks like they are supposed to be black, but they don't look black to me.

Must be, here I've never seen the Blue Suede boots (makes me think of Elvis LOL) and I live near the largest Navy Base in the World.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The only dress uniform left in the US Armed Forces that even approaches hotness is that of the Marines. Oh, yum.

Why the Army and Air Force ever dumped their 1940s & 50s styles that looked so attractive, I'll never understand.

a

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The only dress uniform left in the US Armed Forces that even approaches hotness is that of the Marines. Oh, yum.

Why the Army and Air Force ever dumped their 1940s & 50s styles that looked so attractive, I'll never understand.

a

I agree!!! SO many people lobbied to bring them back when they were re-doing the Army uniforms.

And you have an excellent point about the motorcycle. DD will be hitting 16 about that time, so motorcycle or sports car it is for dh. I'm making a note of that.

I'm voting for dh's hot flight suit! nothing better than a guy dressed like a pickle lol

I prefer mine in his flight suit--pickle or not ;)! But then again, I'm a child of the eighties when Top Gun was as cool as it got :D. (Head hung in shame)

I can't believer I just said that out loud.