Menu

anyone live in the MD/DE area and could let me browse through their MCT curric?

Johanna

Ok, so I am REALLY intrigued by MCT and really want to get my hands on it....i am such a "need to have it in my hands" kinda gal.

Is there anyone local to me that could let me come over and page through this curriculum?

Its so different from what we do now (GWG, and FLL) so, I need to see it to visualize exactly what our year would look like, and what I am committing to.

KWIM?

I live in Elkton, MD....anyone local??

The NoVa Home Educator's Convention is July 9th and 10th at the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly, Va.

I will be at the MCT/RFWP booth as I've volunteered. I am so hoping to meet wtm-ers IRL.

http://www.novaconference.net/ Here is the link -- if you attend, pls stop by.:)

I didnt realize this was near me. I will go google it now, thanks for the tip!! I wonder how far Chantilly, VA is??? Well, gonna go find out!

I didnt realize this was near me. I will go google it now, thanks for the tip!! I wonder how far Chantilly, VA is??? Well, gonna go find out!

Well, just googled it and its three hours away :( too far for me to drive....

Thanks anyways!!!

I live in Ohio, so can't help you with the MCT playdate:).

But, I was in the same position as you - I really wanted to see MCT before committing. So, here is what I decided:

1. I ordered it new, at the beginning of my credit card cycle. If I hated it immediately, I knew I could return it to Royal Fireworks Press and only have to pay for shipping each way (which is still $20).

2. I had searched the WTM for sale posts regularly and found that MCT gets snatched up in a matter of minutes. So, I knew that even if I started using it and really didn't like it, I could sell it for $90 and only be out $30 (plus shipping both ways).

That was how I justified it:).

I have to tell you that at first glance, I was not bowled over. I really like explicit, but concise, teacher instructions. How to implement MCT was not obvious to me. The RFP website has a PowerPoint presentation that explains implementation (but in a global, theoretical sense). I found two threads on these boards that were helpful. I think MCT is going to be one of those things that we just have to use to know whether it is a match for us or not.

I guess my whole point is that an hour or so of thumbing through it at someone's house or even camping at the MCT booth at a convention may not give you the information you need...

I have to tell you that at first glance, I was not bowled over. I really like explicit, but concise, teacher instructions. How to implement MCT was not obvious to me. The RFP website has a PowerPoint presentation that explains implementation (but in a global, theoretical sense). I found two threads on these boards that were helpful. I think MCT is going to be one of those things that we just have to use to know whether it is a match for us or not.

I guess my whole point is that an hour or so of thumbing through it at someone's house or even camping at the MCT booth at a convention may not give you the information you need...

:iagree: I like to see things first too, but this is definitely a product that you get more out of once you are doing it. If it was that easy to "get" right off the bat, I doubt there would be so many threads about it.

Glancing at it at someone's house, though helpful, will not cut it... unless the person explains it to you... but it is still the same as with any curr. You don't know how it will work within your family until you do it.

Johanna, I used Mapquest to get a driving time of 2 hr 20 min from my house near the university (we're really close to 95 here). I am *seriously* contemplating driving down on the 10th, since traffic wouldn't be as bad and I'd be able to browse the used book sale!

Well, just googled it and its three hours away :( too far for me to drive....

Thanks anyways!!!

We go to Woodstown NJ often as family is there - the drive to Chantilly is probably 2 hrs, maybe little longer from Elkton - but I don't think it's 3 hours -- if that makes a difference and means you can come to the convention.

I find that Mapquest tends to be a little off on the travel times. Do you have a GPS? Those travel times tend to be right on the money - if you have one, program in the address of the Expo Center in Chantilly from your home and see what it tells you.

Google says I'm 5 hours away, but if you take a vacation to Virginia Beach you can stop by my house. :) I have the first 3 levels of the complete MCT series (plus Suppose The Wolf, ClassicsITC, Problemoids, and the new science unit studies).

I didn't know MCT was going to have a booth at NoVA! Hmmmm.... I may have to make a road trip, LOL!

Google says I'm 5 hours away, but if you take a vacation to Virginia Beach you can stop by my house. :) I have the first 3 levels of the complete MCT series (plus Suppose The Wolf, ClassicsITC, Problemoids, and the new science unit studies).

I didn't know MCT was going to have a booth at NoVA! Hmmmm.... I may have to make a road trip, LOL!

Yes, RFWP is going to have a booth, and I have volunteered to 'volunteer' so I will be there.:D