Menu

SL Cores 3, 4, and SOTW: Can you combine the two for American history?

We are doing SOTW 1 along with SL core 1 and we really enjoy SOTW 1. We will keep doing the SL core 2 and SOTW 2 for the next stage. However, I am thinking ahead to Core 3 and Core 4. I would love to study American in two years per SL plan. But I would also like to continue SOTW. Have you ever done this? Is it doable or should I just break from SOTW and focus on Core 3 and 4? I would hate to stop SOTW.

I really really like TOG even though I don't have it in my hands yet. I checked the book list for Year 1 and it looks very good.

We are doing SOTW 1 along with SL core 1 and we really enjoy SOTW 1. We will keep doing the SL core 2 and SOTW 2 for the next stage. However, I am thinking ahead to Core 3 and Core 4. I would love to study American in two years per SL plan. But I would also like to continue SOTW. Have you ever done this? Is it doable or should I just break from SOTW and focus on Core 3 and 4? I would hate to stop SOTW.

I really really like TOG even though I don't have it in my hands yet. I checked the book list for Year 1 and it looks very good.

Core 2 actually goes up to modern times though, so it covers SOTW 2-4. I suppose you could continue one volume a year though. I really liked Cores 3 and 4 as written though, I confess! Maybe you'd want to do all of SOTW, then cores 3 & 4, maybe 5, and then another 4 year rotation, possibly with TOG?

I tried to combine Sonlight 3 with SOTW 3 this year and had a little success. We read about 6 of the Sonlight books (and dropped 2 after reading a couple of chapters) and did about 6 chapters of The Story of The USA to reinforce some of the SOTW chapters.

I just found it difficult to maintain a flow.