Menu

Question about Miquon Notes to Teachers and First Grade Diary

EJCMom

I'm wondering how valuable or important these two books are. Are they essential for understanding and teaching Miquon, or would you say they are interesting reading but not really necessary?

Have you taught early math before? I didn't feel I needed to do Miquon, but they were some of the first books I read, and they were reassuring to me. Try to borrow, rather than buy. They are a once-read, unlike, e.g. Liping Ma's book.

Sigh. I was so attached to Miquon. My son would not do it. He found the handling of the rods, etc to be much slower than his thinking. I gave all my stuff to someone nice, and hitched up my big girl panties and got over it.

Essential. The First Grade Diary is one of the most valuable books I've read on early math education (don't be thrown by "First Grade" as it could apply to pre-K, K, or 2nd Grade too.)

Notes to Teachers doesn't have quite the same value as the First Grade diary, but if one is using Miquon I would not advise skipping it.

Bill

If you understand the Miquon way its an interesting read. It didn't make much sense to me. I ended up using Miquon as a supplement.

If you plan on using Miquon be sure to follow up with addition/subtraction, division/multiplication drill. This is not included in the program.

The books are necessary though. Miquon is VERY different from the other math programs.