Menu

X-post: NARHS info. & questions

For anyone considering NARHS, I got a letter in the mail from them, stating that their tuition will be increasing from $425 to $525 after August 31, 2010, AND they are doing away with grandfathering! This means that new students will be subject to any future tuition increases.

The good news is, if you register before this August 31st, you will pay the current tuition ($425) AND have the benefit of grandfathering. They are also having a spring sale: $100 off ($325) if you register by June 18th, and $50 off ($375) if registering by June 30th.

So, if you are thinking about trying NARHS (as I have been), this is probably the best time, because if you do decide to stick with them, you will be locked in at the current (pre-increase) rate for your child's entire HS career. If you register early, it's no sooooo expensive to give it a shot.

My question is in regard to NARHS's accreditation. I am not so concerned about colleges accepting a "mommy transcript" as I am other high school programs we may transfer to, and having proof of HS enrollment during his HS years.

I have always intended to use an umbrella program, so ds could be enrolled in a "real school" to list on paperwork. I would also like some outside accountability and feedback.

I personally prefer the programs offered by Hewitt and Kolbe, but Hewitt isn't accredited at all, and Kolbe is only accredited by a Catholic accrediting agency. I (or ds) may end up deciding he wants to graduate from Oak Meadow, for example, but their program is too expensive for us to follow for all 4 years. However, he could transfer in for his senior year, IF he has a transcript from an accredited institution.

So, I am thinking of registering with NARHS, just for the accreditation, and using a mix of Kolbe, Hewitt and Oak Meadow courses, some with grading, and applying them all to a NARHS transcript. I feel this is the only way to ensure we are not closing any doors, if he wants to use those credits to transfer somewhere else that does require an accredited transcript.

Does this make sense? Does anyone have a feel for whether NARHS's accreditation "counts" more than, say, Kolbe's?

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I am trying to decide about NARHS before their special expires!

:lurk5:

I could have written this post! Bumping this for more responses.

Adding: My husband wanted the accreditation "safety net", so we registered with NARHS last year. I have made an appointment to meet with our advisor for a portfolio review. Hopefully, I may have more to add after that time.

Edited by ccm

I was so worried about this too and could have written this myself a few months ago. Someone suggested I join a yahoo group hs2college and it has opened my eyes. I was amazed at how many high rated colleges and ivy that hs kids are being accepted to with a mommy transcript. I just had my eyes opened regarding this and that it did not matter in the end.

I guess if it is just high school accepting them later that is your concern maybe that is different. have you thought about starting at a community college if it came to that rather than ending up back in public school?

K

\

I guess if it is just high school accepting them later that is your concern maybe that is different. have you thought about starting at a community college if it came to that rather than ending up back in public school?

K

Thanks, K. It's true, I know there are many people who are admitted with a "mommy diploma", although they typically have gone above and beyond with impressive extra-curriculars, stellar outside references, etc. that may not be required by a "traditional" applicant. I am also unsure if smaller, less-selective colleges would be as open-minded about homeschooling as the Ivys.

But yes, at the moment I am more concerned with transferring. I did not mean to PS (perish the thought!), but to another distance program that ds might prefer to graduate from or transfer to for whatever reason. I guess what I'm thinking is, if I'm going to use an umbrella anyway, it would be a waste of time and $$ to enroll in one whose credits may not be transferrable in the end.

Keep the comments comin'! :bigear:

Guest ToGMom

My question is in regard to NARHS's accreditation. I am not so concerned about colleges accepting a "mommy transcript" as I am other high school programs we may transfer to, and having proof of HS enrollment during his HS years.

I have always intended to use an umbrella program, so ds could be enrolled in a "real school" to list on paperwork. I would also like some outside accountability and feedback.

Does this make sense? Does anyone have a feel for whether NARHS's accreditation "counts" more than, say, Kolbe's?

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I am trying to decide about NARHS before their special expires!

I have never used NARHS...but have done extensive research and I have several close friends that *do* use NARHS.

Based on their experiences, I don't think I'd enroll my children...I've heard of too many "exceptions" being made. (things like: 1 - count all Sundays as a school day 2 - One year counting Bible/Quiet Time as History and the next year counting it as Literature -- depending on which credits the student was lacking that year)

I think there are much better ways to have outside accountability and feedback without shelling out that much $$ for "exceptions". KWIM??

I have never used NARHS...but have done extensive research and I have several close friends that *do* use NARHS.

Based on their experiences, I don't think I'd enroll my children...I've heard of too many "exceptions" being made. (things like: 1 - count all Sundays as a school day 2 - One year counting Bible/Quiet Time as History and the next year counting it as Literature -- depending on which credits the student was lacking that year)

I think there are much better ways to have outside accountability and feedback without shelling out that much $$ for "exceptions". KWIM??

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not that concerned about the "exceptions"; I think it is perfectly reasonable to count a course that could go either way under the heading that the student is in need of. When I was in college, I took a course that could count as either history or French, and it was up to the student to choose what they wanted it to count for. I would be more apt to call this "flexibility". I'm not quite sure what you mean by Bible/Quiet Time, but I would be surprised if this were counted as an actual course if there were no documentation to back it up (I was under the impression the NARHS was quite strict about having sufficient proof of course work completed--Am I wrong?).

I would be interested to know what the "better ways to have outside accountability and feedback" are that you are suggesting. This is not my only concern, but also a way of ensuring that my ds's completed course work will be recognized anywhere he may need to show proof of it. Suggestions?

Guest ToGMom
I'm not quite sure what you mean by Bible/Quiet Time, but I would be surprised if this were counted as an actual course if there were no documentation to back it up (I was under the impression the NARHS was quite strict about having sufficient proof of course work completed--Am I wrong?).

Bible/Quiet Time: In this particular case, it refers to daily reading of 10 - 15 verses and then summarize what the author was saying and then how it applies to the reader's life...in a journal format.

While I think reading God's Word is important, I don't think it should count as History OR Literature...

I would be interested to know what the "better ways to have outside accountability and feedback" are that you are suggesting. This is not my only concern, but also a way of ensuring that my ds's completed course work will be recognized anywhere he may need to show proof of it. Suggestions?

I don't know about the requirements for the state in which you live, but in Maine, we have the option to present a portfolio (sampling) of student's work to a state certified teacher as a means of assessment. The teacher gives constructive feedback and recommendations in writing and this is submitted with an "Intent to Homeschool" form by September 1st.

So, for every year we've homeschooled, each one of my children has a portfolio of work along with a teacher's assessment.

As each child enters high school, I start a Homeschool Tracker record -- and have successfully produced transcripts that were accepted at every college my oldest daughter applied to.

And, I didn't shell out thousands of dollars to do it...;)

It sounds like you're not so concerned about accreditation for getting into college as you are if you have to stop homeschooling your child and move him into a traditional school setting? If that's your concern: First I'd check with the local schools around you that you might use if this were to happen and see what they would do with a homeschooler in that situation. The public schools in our area won't accept homeschool credit even if it's accredited. Not sure about private schools. Some on here have said all their child had to do was taken placements tests and they would get credit for those they did well in and I've heard some people say they had no trouble getting credit for homeschool courses. I think, if this is your concern, the old adage we have here is: Check with the schools. The need for accreditation may be mute point.

It sounds like you're not so concerned about accreditation for getting into college as you are if you have to stop homeschooling your child and move him into a traditional school setting? If that's your concern: First I'd check with the local schools around you that you might use if this were to happen and see what they would do with a homeschooler in that situation. The public schools in our area won't accept homeschool credit even if it's accredited. Not sure about private schools. Some on here have said all their child had to do was taken placements tests and they would get credit for those they did well in and I've heard some people say they had no trouble getting credit for homeschool courses. I think, if this is your concern, the old adage we have here is: Check with the schools. The need for accreditation may be mute point.

Thanks for asking this question. Maybe I'm not entirely sure what my question is, LOL! No, I am not really concerned about PS or private, since this is not our intention. I was mainly thinking that, in the life of a teen, 4 years is a long time. In that time, ds may decide he wants to graduate from an actual school (ie: distance ed/homeschool accreditation program) as opposed to just receiving a mommy diploma, or he may want to switch from whichever umbrella program we are using to another one. There are some accredited distance ed. programs that will only accept transfers from other accredited programs. We also move a lot, and have no way of knowing if a future school (CC, etc.) will inquire as to whether his transcript is from an accredited school. These could very well be slim possibilities, but I would hate to have his options limited because I didn't have his course work "officially" documented.

OK, does this make sense, LOL?

Thanks for asking this question. Maybe I'm not entirely sure what my question is, LOL! No, I am not really concerned about PS or private, since this is not our intention. I was mainly thinking that, in the life of a teen, 4 years is a long time. In that time, ds may decide he wants to graduate from an actual school (ie: distance ed/homeschool accreditation program) as opposed to just receiving a mommy diploma, or he may want to switch from whichever umbrella program we are using to another one. There are some accredited distance ed. programs that will only accept transfers from other accredited programs. We also move a lot, and have no way of knowing if a future school (CC, etc.) will inquire as to whether his transcript is from an accredited school. These could very well be slim possibilities, but I would hate to have his options limited because I didn't have his course work "officially" documented.

OK, does this make sense, LOL?

Yes, totally. :iagree:

In that time, ds may decide he wants to graduate from an actual school (ie: distance ed/homeschool accreditation program) as opposed to just receiving a mommy diploma, or he may want to switch from whichever umbrella program we are using to another one. There are some accredited distance ed. programs that will only accept transfers from other accredited programs.

I would look at the umbrella program or distance ed program that you are thinking of possibly using in the future and ask them if they accept NARHS accreditation...

If you look at the site of the organization that NARHS is accredited with, you would see that it is not as serious as some of the other accrediting organizations....

On the NARHS website, it says they are accredited by the National Private Schools Association (on the page about the school profile).

If you search Google for that association, you get this page for the National Private Schools Association group though it then calls itself the National Private Schools Accreditation Alliance...Maybe someone else knows about a different accrediting agency?

Here's an older article (2004) by the National School Board about NARHS.

NARHS seems to be serving the needs of some people but will it serve your needs is the important thing to know, so that you don't have a false sense of security...

Joan

I would look at the umbrella program or distance ed program that you are thinking of possibly using in the future and ask them if they accept NARHS accreditation...

If you look at the site of the organization that NARHS is accredited with, you would see that it is not as serious as some of the other accrediting organizations....

On the NARHS website, it says they are accredited by the National Private Schools Association (on the page about the school profile).

If you search Google for that association, you get this page for the National Private Schools Association group though it then calls itself the National Private Schools Accreditation Alliance...Maybe someone else knows about a different accrediting agency?

Here's an older article (2004) by the National School Board about NARHS.

NARHS seems to be serving the needs of some people but will it serve your needs is the important thing to know, so that you don't have a false sense of security...

Joan

Thanks so much for this Joan! Yes, I believe this is more of the direction I was going with my question. How much does NARHS's accreditation "count"?

I will definitely check with other distant ed programs about whose credits they accept, but this leads me to the other part of my original question.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with Kolbe's accrediation (by a Catholic school accrediting agency), and how that compares with the bonaficity of the agency which accredited NARHS? I guess I would rather go with Kolbe, if I can feel reassured that their accreditation will be accepted as well by those who care about such things.

:lurk5:

I could have written this post! Bumping this for more responses.

Adding: My husband wanted the accreditation "safety net", so we registered with NARHS last year. I have made an appointment to meet with our advisor for a portfolio review. Hopefully, I may have more to add after that time.

I have returned from the portfolio review. NARHS is a Tier 2 high school and this is not what we want.

http://www.communitycollegereview.com/articles/17

I have returned from the portfolio review. NARHS is a Tier 2 high school and this is not what we want.

Is your child going into the military? I think the "Tier 2" designation in the article you linked refers to military recruitment tiers.

In my state, if a HS student wants to transfer from a school in another state, the credits will generally be accepted as long as the transferring school is recognized by it's own state board of education. NARHS is recognized as a private school by the state BoE in Maine. Homeschool credits, on the other hand, are not accepted by public high schools here, so if I thought either of my kids might be heading to PS in the future, I might want to keep that option open.

To the OP: As long as you keep really good records, and copies of all the student's work, you could just wait and see if you really need NARHS or not. I think both NARHS and Clonlara will do a portfolio review and grant credit retroactively for years prior to official enrollment, provided you have the documentation. The state of Maine also allows for granting a HS diploma retroactively if a student has completed one year of college-level work, so that is another option for a student who takes CC classes while homeschooling (although obviously it would not solve the problem of transferring into a public HS).

NARHS sells a very useful record book that tracks both assignments and hours for multiple subjects (see the samples on their website), which might be a handy way of documenting the student's work (along with copies of all exams, written work, photos of labs & field trips, etc.), should you need it in the future.

Jackie

Is your child going into the military? I think the "Tier 2" designation in the article you linked refers to military recruitment tiers.

Jackie

I don't think she is going into the military, but I want her to have that option available. I guess my dh and I thought that a NARHS diploma would have the same weight as a ps one.

To the OP: As long as you keep really good records, and copies of all the student's work, you could just wait and see if you really need NARHS or not. I think both NARHS and Clonlara will do a portfolio review and grant credit retroactively for years prior to official enrollment, provided you have the documentation. The state of Maine also allows for granting a HS diploma retroactively if a student has completed one year of college-level work, so that is another option for a student who takes CC classes while homeschooling (although obviously it would not solve the problem of transferring into a public HS).

NARHS sells a very useful record book that tracks both assignments and hours for multiple subjects (see the samples on their website), which might be a handy way of documenting the student's work (along with copies of all exams, written work, photos of labs & field trips, etc.), should you need it in the future.

Jackie

The recordkeeping was invaluable. I'm sure I would not have had such thorough documentation without their guidance. Also, my advisor was wonderful!

Edited by ccm

Thanks for sharing.

It made me do a little research about Tier 1 and 2. It is interesting that the military will consider homeschooled students as Tier 1 depending on the state law. Which states are they?

I'm not so interested in the military, more the accreditation standing of online/correspondance providers...Have you found which umbrella schools would qualify as Tier 1?

Thanks,

Joan