Menu

TOG's new online classes

I'm so excited about this! If we had the $$, I'd enroll my ds13 in Year 3 Bridge literature in a heartbeat.

Really - great use of technology. I think it's got exciting potential, especially the teacher training aspect and virtual co-op hosting.

I do have this one, little thought in the back of my mind. . . . . TOG is designed so you can teach all your kids at home, together. And you know? That's just what I've done for the past 4 years. All of it, no co-op. And it's been really good for ME as well as my kids, to work and learn together.

But as our family changes, and our life situation changes, I can really see using these offerings.

I'm so excited about this! If we had the $$, I'd enroll my ds13 in Year 3 Bridge literature in a heartbeat.

Really - great use of technology. I think it's got exciting potential, especially the teacher training aspect and virtual co-op hosting.

I do have this one, little thought in the back of my mind. . . . . TOG is designed so you can teach all your kids at home, together. And you know? That's just what I've done for the past 4 years. All of it, no co-op. And it's been really good for ME as well as my kids, to work and learn together.

But as our family changes, and our life situation changes, I can really see using these offerings.

Good point. I do enjoy us working together and have really seen the benefit of group discussions.

I actually mentioned the idea on the TOGether forum a few months ago and it was squashed LOL, but my idea was to have Marcia herself teach the classes. I guess she's too busy. :tongue_smilie: I just think there is so much we (read: I) could learn from her. Her ability to drive a fantastic, fruitful socratic discussion just amazes me every time I'm blessed enough to hear a snippet. I wanna piece of that! :lol:

I actually mentioned the idea on the TOGether forum a few months ago and it was squashed LOL, but my idea was to have Marcia herself teach the classes. I guess she's too busy. :tongue_smilie: I just think there is so much we (read: I) could learn from her. Her ability to drive a fantastic, fruitful socratic discussion just amazes me every time I'm blessed enough to hear a snippet. I wanna piece of that! :lol:

I would definitely sign myself up if they were to offer a class on socratic discussion.

I once wrote Lampstand Press and asked them to consider exactly this! Scott replied that they have people who would love to, and that they would consider it once they finished the Redesigned project. (I'm sure they were already discussing it when I wrote.)

In the meantime, I found The Potter's School's Classical Track (TPS CT), which seems very similar to TOG in philosophy -- the literature component seems most similar. History uses a textbook, though, and more books seem to be added for Christian worldview at TPS.

One difference between the two online programs is that, while both want parent involvement, TOG seems more loose and seems to rely more on parents' determining grades. I think a parent would have to stay much more involved with TOG's online class (have a stronger grasp of the material herself) than would be required for TPS's CT. I also think that the TPS teachers would be more involved with comments and grades on writing assignments -- TOG's site says they will train parents to feel confident grading essays.

Would anyone else like to comment on any of that (comparison of the two programs, comparison of parent involvement, etc.)? :bigear: :bigear: I don't have experience yet with TPS. Has anyone had kids in the CT there?

Edited by profmom

I would probably ask dh if we could but the money. And we like being on our own eclectic schedule. I don't want to still be doing school the end of May because that's what the schedule says. We start the end of July and finish the beginning/middle of May. I really like it that way! My kids do too.

Would anyone else like to comment on any of that (comparison of the two programs, comparison of parent involvement, etc.)? :bigear: :bigear: I don't have experience yet with TPS. Has anyone had kids in the CT there?

I will after next year! We have done TOG the past two years and loved it, doing the history and literature with discussions with just our family, some church history, arts, and philosophy, with a different course for writing. However, next year, my ds will be the only one left at home, and I didn't feel like our discussions would go very well with just the two of us. He has done English and Latin with TPS the past two years and really liked it, so he wanted to do the classical track. If I had known about the TOG program earlier, I might have chosen that instead because I feel like I could have stayed a bit more involved. However, I think both would be good programs. I'm hanging onto my TOG rhetoric books and year plans, though, in case he wants to go back to that after next year. Too many choices!

I think it is a great idea however.... I prefer the teacher training and less stress of keeping up with their schedule. Do not like the NON-refundable application fee part either. Does this mean your money is not refunded if the class didn't meet the min. requirment of students?? gggrrrr!!!

Holly

I think it is a great idea however.... I prefer the teacher training and less stress of keeping up with their schedule. Do not like the NON-refundable application fee part either. Does this mean your money is not refunded if the class didn't meet the min. requirment of students?? gggrrrr!!!

Holly

I don't think I would like being tied to a set schedule either. Good things to think about.

Quiver, have you seen the lit? It looks fantastic, but oh so time consuming! :001_huh: Doable, but wowza....too bad we live so far apart, we could so share some teaching since we're on much of the same page!

No kidding!:)

I have been looking through the R lit and it is a bit overwhelming. I am glad I have summer to prepare. gulp.