Menu

Choices for 2nd grade Latin- please help me choose

I have been researching Latin for 2nd graders, and I've come up with several that look like they might work. I would be so grateful if any of you would look this over and give recommendations:

Choice 1: Minimus* with Getting Started with Latin

Choice 2: Elementary Latin with Getting Started with Latin

Chioce 3: Elementary Latin with Minimus*

*Thinking about not using the TM. I would use it with the CD (I think) as a "just for fun" part of our Latin.

I just found Elementary Latin over the weekend. It isn't spoken of much on TWTM Board, but it looks good to me at first glance. Can anyone tell me about EL in particular????

I'm hoping to find a *fun* Latin program for my 2nd grader (finished Song School Latin in 1st) using Classical pronunciation. I don't think it matters to me whether it's Christian or secular. Also, I want to prepare for a curriculum that stresses grammar.

I think I'm heading towards Lively Latin for 3rd grade for the fun aspect plus I've read it teaches grammar well. It's also a "do-the-next-page" curriculum and easy on the teacher. I'm not trying to overwhelm my child, yet I definitely want to use 2nd grade to prep him for 3rd grade Latin. I don't want to wast our time in 2nd grade with just cutsy stuff, yet it needs to be enjoyable.

This has been tough! Most Latin curriculum is written for 3rd and up, so for 2nd, I think we will shoot for exposure to vocabulary and whatever grammar we can get.

Please share ideas and experience:001_huh::confused::bigear:

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

I posted a very similar thread a couple of weeks ago. I'd settled on Minimus, but I haven't heard of Elementary Latin. Now I need to go look it up. My main reservation for Minimus is the price. We're on a very tight budget.

Minimus*

*Thinking about not using the TM. I would use it with the CD (I think) as a "just for fun" part of our Latin.

I have never used the TM for Minimus. I flipped through it once a few years ago and I couldn't justify the price...

How redundant are beginning Latin programs? I'm noticing that Elementary Latin is listing a lot of the same topics as Lively Latin as Latin for Children A, with the difference being the age of the kids for which the program is intended.

I'm also searching for the next step. because my DD will likely finish SSL before she turns 6, and doesn't have the writing stamina for most programs for 3rd grade and up. But at the same time, I don't want her to go through the same basics again and again until she's old enough for "real" Latin. And at her age, I don't think she's ready for super-heavy Grammar study, either.

I've seriously considered doing Song School Greek after SSL for that reason, because she loves SSL so much-but then we'd be juggling 3 languages!

What I want to avoid is what I've seen with Spanish, where she has enough skills right now that most of the first level of almost any program is redundant, but isn't quite ready for what would be asked of her in the next level, either. If there's something like Elementary Spanish for Latin (where it's easy to say "Ok, you know this topic well, let's skip those lessons), I haven't found it yet!

We have done SSL and will complete Minimus soon then we will be moving on to Getting Started with Latin. We will just take it at the pace we need to. It can mostly be done orally which is excellent for this age but also a good step up in requirement. From there we will probably go to Latin Prep 1.

Have you looked at Getting Started with Latin? (There is also GSwSpanish). You can do a search on Google for these and see samples on William Linney's web site. You can also read reviews for these on Amazon. I've read many times where these books were used with young children. I'm considering using the Latin with my youngest and the Spanish with my older kids who are using Rosetta Stone Latin Spanish. Linney's books might be the bridge you and I need.

I'm with you..... trying to find a 2nd grade Latin has been difficult. I'm hoping others will be able to offer suggestions. I think a combination of Minimus, GSwL, and Elementary Latin might work.

Anyone????

How redundant are beginning Latin programs? I'm noticing that Elementary Latin is listing a lot of the same topics as Lively Latin as Latin for Children A, with the difference being the age of the kids for which the program is intended.

I'm also searching for the next step. because my DD will likely finish SSL before she turns 6, and doesn't have the writing stamina for most programs for 3rd grade and up. But at the same time, I don't want her to go through the same basics again and again until she's old enough for "real" Latin. And at her age, I don't think she's ready for super-heavy Grammar study, either.

I've seriously considered doing Song School Greek after SSL for that reason, because she loves SSL so much-but then we'd be juggling 3 languages!

What I want to avoid is what I've seen with Spanish, where she has enough skills right now that most of the first level of almost any program is redundant, but isn't quite ready for what would be asked of her in the next level, either. If there's something like Elementary Spanish for Latin (where it's easy to say "Ok, you know this topic well, let's skip those lessons), I haven't found it yet!

I don't know if this is the right answer or not, but I think I'm going to keep it simple for 2nd grade. I own volumes 1 and 2 of English from the Roots Up. I could use that with Getting Started with Latin and take it slowly.

Lively Latin, Latin for Children, Minimus and others, no doubt, are for 3rd grade and above. When we get to 3rd, I think I'd like for us to do Lively Latin and follow up with Latin Prep..... just based on the posts I've been reading.

I know I could pick a Latin curriculua and use its vocabulary for 2nd with the idea of starting the rest of it in 3rd. I can't deny that this sounds like a good idea. At the same time, it seems like I would be trying to use the curriculua in a way it isn't written to be used...... I don't want to have to figure out how to manipulate lessons. I could be all wrong about this. Comments????:bigear:

Can anyone tell me if EftRU with GSwL is a terrible idea for 2nd grade? The only other curriculua I would consider at this point is Elementary Latin unless you all have a better idea.

It may not be *fun*, but I think the simplicity would be enough to keep him interested without pushing too hard.

I don't think Getting Started with Latin is a bad idea for 2nd. I have heard of people using it younger than that. I think you can slow it up if you need to which is helpful for that age.

I do know a friend doing Lively Latin with her 2nd grader and it is tough going. She is modifying lots of the lessons and thinks it will take 2 years to get through at their current pace. He isn't enjoying it either.

I have no idea if either has good audio. I can tell you just from what I've seen on-line that both of them have audio. GSwL's audio can be found on the GSwL web page. Nancy Sattler has a CD that can be purchased to go along with Elem. Latin.

I have not heard either one.

Do either Elementary Latin or GSWL have good audio? One thing my DD has LOVED about SSL is the audio CD-I know eventually she'll have to move to a more formal, grammatical approach, but I'd like to transfer to that gently.

Amber, thanks for your reply. The last thing I want is to push so hard that my ds gives up. That would be such an unfortunate mistake.

I don't think Getting Started with Latin is a bad idea for 2nd. I have heard of people using it younger than that. I think you can slow it up if you need to which is helpful for that age.

I do know a friend doing Lively Latin with her 2nd grader and it is tough going. She is modifying lots of the lessons and thinks it will take 2 years to get through at their current pace. He isn't enjoying it either.

FWIW, we started Lively Latin with our 3rd/4th graders two years ago, and we are half-way through LL2 now that they have completed 4th/5th grade. It is slow-going at this point because, frankly, their English grammar skills haven't caught up with what's expected at this level of Latin study (not that they have slacked on grammar--we've used FLL and Rod & Staff all along. It's just that you don't cover things like pluperfect tense in 3rd--or even 5th--grade grammar :tongue_smilie: ).

All this to say (in my option), that until a child's grammar skills are advanced enough, any Latin study will most likely continue to be limited to vocabulary memorization and the like. So unless you really want to take that formal Latin plunge, I think you could conceivable put off any formal Latin study until at least 3rd, or even 4th grade, without worrying about not starting soon enough.

Just my two cents. :)