Menu

Hello! This is my first post here on this forum. I have just started homeschool preschool with my two oldest. We've started The Ordinary Parent's Guide To Teaching Reading and I am liking it so far. I'm curious about what other moms (and dads) do about handwriting. My son is not interested and not ready for the writing portion of it all. However, my daughter shows great interest in copying her letter cards and writing her new letter over and over, even during coloring time. Did you let your child develop this naturally or did you implement a handwriting program at this point? (Thank you, in advance, for all your help!)

My dd was 3yo when she started to write on her own. I wanted to make sure she was writing correctly, because I didn't want to have to undo bad habits later. We just worked in Kumon books 2x per week at that point. Those are very good books for young ones whose fine motor skills are still developing. Once she completed the Kumon books, we started doing copywork that I generate online.

My dd is about to turn five and we've been working on letter formation all year because she's interested. I bought a write on/wipe off board with all the letters and numbers and the directions for formation on it and she works on that as I observe and coach correct formation, also I put a bunch of salt in a clear tupperwear type box and she traces her letters in there like sand. I am also doing OPG for reading and loving it but I don't do a fomal "your letters have to only be this big" type of thing. We work on letters and numbers a few days a week and then when she plays I just let her practice on her own w/out much correction. Also, I fouind that coaching her letter formation by tracing the letters in the air with her in big motions really helped. If she's interested in writing, I say give a little instruction so she doesn't get fristrated later on.

It sounds like she might enjoy Handwriting Without Tears. http://www.hwtears.com/

I use the program for my kids, but my kids have fine motor issues, so it's necessary. However, if she shows an interest in practicing, I'd take advantage of it while you can. Developing good handwriting from the beginning could be a big help in the future. If she's willing, I'd go for it.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I am really wanting to take advantage of her wanting to write. My son has no interest in the writing portion of things, so I'm not doing anything with him yet. I'll look into a few of the programs y'all suggested! Thanks again.

It sounds like she might enjoy Handwriting Without Tears. http://www.hwtears.com/

I use the program for my kids, but my kids have fine motor issues, so it's necessary. However, if she shows an interest in practicing, I'd take advantage of it while you can. Developing good handwriting from the beginning could be a big help in the future. If she's willing, I'd go for it.

This is our favorite handwriting program! Love, love, love it!!! My oldest DS started it at the preschool that he attended. When he went to PS they used a different program and he wasn't doing as well with it. Now that he's hsing we're using the HWT Cursive now and he has beautiful penmanship.

We made handwriting instruction very fun at that age. I instructed/corrected when they were writing in pudding. Yes, pudding the food! I mixed a package of instant pudding with half of the amount of milk in the recipe, then put it into 8x8 cake pans (the high sides prevented messes). I would demonstrate letters and ask the kids to first trace my work (using their fingers), then "erase" it and make their own letter. They begged for handwriting time :D

In pre-k, if they wanted to use a pencil to write, I'd just show them the proper grip, then let do as they wished, but I'd make mental note of things they did "wrong" and we would work on that the next day in our pudding lesson.

BTW other things work, but they liked pudding the best - We used lots of things like mashed potatoes, pureed bananas, baby food, or anything else with a thick smooth texture.

Pudding?! That is funny! I can imagine their fond memories of their early homeschool days! Ha!

I've been using a simple handwriting workbook that MIL just happened to send DD for her birthday. It isn't arranged at all in a helpful way, but it works. She's been doing that after we do her reading lesson from TOPGTR. Once she began working on it, she also started copying any writing she sees. (She even made Father's Day cards for her grandfather's by coping "Happy Father's Day!" written on a piece of paper.) She also enjoys using a stick to "practice" in the mud. She is loving it! I am going to look into the Handwriting Without Tears program. I may add it in after she's been introduced to the letters.

Is it a big deal right now that she learn to stay on lines/within lines and spacing and such? Or do you let them learn to write their letters and then teach them to write properly? :001_huh:

We made handwriting instruction very fun at that age. I instructed/corrected when they were writing in pudding. Yes, pudding the food!

BTW other things work, but they liked pudding the best - We used lots of things like mashed potatoes, pureed bananas, baby food, or anything else with a thick smooth texture.

We did this with J too :D Although ours was for SPD and SI therapies more so than for pre-handwritting skills.

We started with Handwriting Without Tears just before age 4.5, and we love it! It's fun and easy. Last year at this time, she was scrawling out big sloppy capital letters, now she can write in tiny print, and is trying to teach herself cursive, lol.