Menu

You have asked questions that have been asked before with responses that vary from individual to individual.

Most students do not begin AP in 9th, although a few do. I understand that Human Geography is a good introduction to AP, although none of the high schools near us offer the test in that course--so that was not an option for us.

May I suggest that you spend some time reading threads that are tagged with Advanced Placement? I have pulled up the list for you:

Threads with Advanced Placement Tag

All AP course syllabi, recommended texts, test dates, etc. are found on the College Board's website.

Good luck.

If a kid can do an AP in 9th - that sure impresses the heck out of the admission folks (if the kid can also get a decent score on the exam). My ds did World History (ok, he loves history) in 9th and got a 4. Colleges mentioned this in the acceptance letters!

• 2 weeks later...
If a kid can do an AP in 9th - that sure impresses the heck out of the admission folks (if the kid can also get a decent score on the exam). My ds did World History (ok, he loves history) in 9th and got a 4. Colleges mentioned this in the acceptance letters!

Did your son do AP World thru' PA Homeschoolers or self-study? Dd will be in 9th in the fall and wants to take one AP class. AP Human Geography seems like a good into to AP courses. But, dd says it looks a little boring (from course description). Last night I was also looking at AP European History (thru' PA Homeschoolers). It is also offered to 9th graders (advanced). I'm sure AP Euro will be more reading/writing etc, but it looks more interesting to dd. Just wondering, how did you know your ds was ready for AP World?

I'm confused as to what I should have dd apply for...:lol:

Thanks for your insight!

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

At the public high school I attended, we did not yet have AP Human Geography and so there were no AP classes for 9th graders. Now, freshmen can take AP Human Geography to fulfill their world geography requirement. The first AP class before this was 10th grade World History.

The AP Bio and AP Chem classes are meant to be taken after a second year of each subject, as far as I know.