Menu

Texas Heat, Epipen Carrier?

Anyone have an idea of the best way to carry my daughters Epipen Jr this summer ? We frequently hit temperatures over 100 degrees. Her being so young, and my son too. I don't want to take a chance on them getting ahold of it accidently. It needs to be on my belt loop or something really close. I have seen those stretchy carriers, but wouldn't the pens get to hot next to my skin like that ?

If it needs to be kept cool my recommendation would be a Frio bag (small should be fine) in a SPI belt.

Those are brand names that you can look up.

The Frio bag is a reusable cooling bag that you just moisten with water and the SPI belt is a comfy holder for small personal items that was originally made for runners.

I carry ours in a backpack, but that is what I carry rather than a purse. If I set it down to swim or something I just set it in the shade. I have never had to use ours, so I honestly don't know if that is enough to keep them 'good'. Maybe a small lunchbox type cooler like diabetics use?

The Frio thing would work, they are supposed to be kept in temperatures between 59 - 80 degrees, 85 degree for short excursions. It is over 80 for 8-9 months here. I guess I need to order a frio something. I wonder which size would hold two Epipens and a couple of benadryl liquid measures, with my sons inhaler ??

If you want to save yourself some space, you can get Benadryl strips that dissolve on the tongue instead of carrying around liquid measures. They work well, but are smaller and lighter.

I just read about them in another thread !! Thanks, I will have to check them out. I haven't seen them before, but maybe I wasn't looking !

Do you have to carry an inhaler with a spacer? I'd love ideas for my son to carry his. The inhaler would fit dandy in a fanny pack or whatever, but that darn spacer with its bulky face mask takes up way too much space (and yes, he needs the spacer still).