Menu

Best Algebra 1 text for this child...

Which Algebra 1 text would be best for dd who would need a text that:

1. needs plenty of review and practice

2. didn't like the layout of the Chalkdust Prealgebra text (not so many problems in one set)

3. likes the safety of Rod and Staff (she's working in the 8th grade book now)

4. likes the problems to build her understanding slowly and carefully

5. does not like DVDs

6. Mom needs help so answers with solutions required (if anything I might use DVDs for myself and online help might be helpful too. I might consider a tutor.)?

Which Algebra 1 text might fit most of this?

At first glance Lial's may appear to have too many problems.... but in reality the students work only the odds and each lesson is designed to be worked out over 2 days--so it comes down to about 20 problems per day. My students have easily adapted to the layout--and after the first few lessons, they seem to like/prefer it.

The lesson examples (just like the problem set homework) are arranged from simple/basic to more complex. Each example builds on the previous one (lessons do too). Review is BUILT IN--students use previous material--they don't just learn it and forget it... but for 'security' there is a cumulative review after each chapter test (I only assign these as needed).

ALL of the teaching is in the student text (instead of a brief review). The reasons/proofs for each step is given. There is a student solutions manual that shows the problems worked out step by step--nice to have on occasion.

The student text is all that is needed--and this program is CHEAP... the 'older' 7th and 8th editions can be found easily in 'like new' condition for under $20 shipped.

Even if it is not used as your primary text--it makes a GREAT reference text--when a different example is needed. It is a COMPLETE course--not watered down--but still easy to understand with a comfortable layout.

This is the program I chose for my online classes--AND for my own daughters. Both of my daughters used this program independently--only asking occasional questions... one of my daughters is an 'artsy' non-mathy type (some learning issues) and the other is an honors student with a future in some Math/Science field.

There are many other traditional texts similar in scope/sequence and even teaching... but the Lial series has what I was looking for in a cost effective package.

I'm considering Jacobs because Kolbe Academy uses this text. I could order the syllabus, text, tm and dvds all from them. They use Jacobs for Geometry and then Foerster for Algebra 2 and PreCalculus. I like this plan and I think for High School math (which really scares me!:D) this might be my best choice. I like their choices and I like the support.

What do you think? Would this meet her needs and mine too? :lol:

I prefer the layout of the Developmental or 'paperback' series. It is a HUGE paperback text--I always reinforce the covers with clear self-laminating sheets and they have held up for several years.

Look for either the 7th or 8th editions...and choose a text in new or 'like new' condition. I usually get mine off of Amazon.com

ISBN for the Introductory Algebra 8th edition (Algebra 1) is 0321279212

student solution manual (optional) 0321285808

ISBN for Intermediate Algebra 8th edition (Algebra 2) is 0321279204

student solution manual 0321285697

--

The Jacobs Algebra text is a solid text--but sometimes it can be awkward in presentation (unless you think like the author). If you decide on Jacobs Geometry then use the 2nd edition as the 3rd edition is a 'discovery method' and is NOT a good choice for independent learning as there are VERY VERY few actual examples and VERY little in the way of practical practice problems. The Jacobs 2nd edition Geometry text is much better organized and has teaching examples.

We have had a hard time finding a good fit after using Rod & Staff. The program we are using (TT) doesn't have enough practice problems for dd, so we also use Key to Algebra along with their extra online practice problems, Key to Tracker ($6/student/year). It has really helped here. :)

Before buying Jacobs, which can be pricey to buy new, I would really recommend borrowing it from your library, using interlibrary loan if you have to. You could do the same with Lial's. That's what I did for algebra 1 after I read that suggestion on this board. I was very grateful for that advice. Dd and I both know from looking at a few texts in person that Jacobs wasn't the best choice for her. We wound up choosing something else and it did wind up being a very good fit.

Intermediate Algebra will prepare the student for any Pre-Calc course.

My oldest dd is a photography major and her next class (and final Math class forever!) was Math 101 ('math applications for the real world'--whatever that means).

My middle dd tried a few other Pre-Calc programs including Chalkdust-- but she happily ended up back with Lial... still a solid program at this level.

Remember that the Lial series was designed for remedial college use--so their Pre-Calc text is a college-level text (but in the same great format as the previous texts. We are using the 3rd edition 'Pre-Calculus'

Thank you so much-all of you!:001_smile:

Thank you Jann for the info. on Lial and the tip about Jacob's Geometry.

I will try to take a look at these before buying. I would like to make this decision soon and purchase what I need. I would feel better if I started working through the text ahead of dd to be sure I can teach it well enough and if it would fit her well.

Jann, does Lial's text include geometry like Saxon or would we need a text for this too. If so, what would you recommend?

Thank you.

Edited by Kfamily

My oldest daughter did not take Geometry (and survived!)...it took her 2 years to complete Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 (learning differences). My middle daughter used the Holt 2007 edition when she was in PS. I substituted a LOT for her Geometry teacher and became familiar with that text--in fact it is the one I chose for my online Geometry classes. The Holt program will only work if you can get a hold of the teacher's One Stop Planner--hard but not impossible to find with a bit of patience. The One Stop Planner software has the worked out solutions, full TE, test bank, and TONS of other supports and worksheets. This program also includes FREE online video lessons for each text example (most are by Dr Edward Burger of Thinkwell who is also the main author of this text!--reason why Thinkwell does not offer a separate Geometry program.

Lial does have a Geometry text--but it is hard to find used--and it is a bit dry (Geometry is NOT a pre-req for most college Maths--so FEW CCs/colleges offer it). Lial does incorporate Geometric formula work into the Algebra texts...

Teaching Textbooks' Geometry program is better than their Algebra programs. It covers all the essentials including proofs--a bit lite on applications that require Algebra --but still a solid course.

BJU's Geometry (with DVD teaching) is expensive but very good.

Chalkdust's Geometry is good--but best for strong Math students.

This is one level of Math that I'm happy to be finished choosing texts for!

Just wanted to jump in here...

My 13 yo ds just began Jacobs Algebra I this week. I ordered the materials through Kolbe Academy. To answer some of your specific questions,

1. Your dd will get plenty of review and practice. Each lesson has Set I, II, III, and IV exercises. Set I is review, II and III cover the lesson and IV is a more challenging one or two problems. So far my ds has skipped the Set I exercises because he doesn't need them. The Kolbe syllabus seems to do a good job of choosing selected problems.

2 & 3. I'm not familiar with these math layouts so I can't comment. Jacobs is engaging, but not cluttered. There are some very funny cartoons! The text in the lesson is well-written and explains things without being too wordy. But there are not bells and whistles all over the page. For my ds, lots of sidebars and photos and captions are not desirable. As a measure of comparison, Prentice-Hall texts seem to be full of distractions, at least for my children. I find Jacobs' layout to be comparable in style to R & S Grammar.

4. If she works thru the Sets in order, she will build her understanding slowly.

5. So far, the dvd lessons are short. Just concise explanations of the lessons with a problem or two worked out. Not big, long lectures. You could make these optional for your dd. Ds did not need to watch the dvds this week to understand or complete the work. He did watch the dvds for lesson 7 & 8 out of curiosity and because I wanted to take a look with him!

6. All solutions are worked out in the solution manual for teachers, so you'd like this.

We completed week one according to the Kolbe syllabus, which covers 8 lessons. That may sound like a lot, but it wasn't...this first unit is review for any student who is ready to begin Algebra.

Hope this helps!

Based on what you've said, I'd agree with Jann on using Lial's. There are plenty of problems in it and it definitely builds. This is what my dd ended up with during her first time through Algebra 1.

Jacobs may be a good fit, too, and it's quite gentle. We started with that, but it was too gentle for my eldest. I'd get a used one if you opt for that, However, there is no Algebra 2, whereas if you go with Lial's and it's good fit, you can do all of your Algebra with the same curricula.