Menu

graduation party etiquette?

Two of the teens on our street are having a combined graduation party tomorrow. I know them fairly well.

I plan to take some challah (made with the Artisan Breads in 5 Minutes a Day recipe) to share, but I think it's pretty typical to take a graduation gift for each graduate as well.

What's typical for a graduation gift?

Money.

Around here, when you walk in the door, there is a collage of the graduate's pictures and accomplishments. There is a little basket for you to leave your card/gift card/cash. I have never seen an actual wrapped present.

I have been to several in the last few weeks, and we gave $20 to acquaintances, $50 to closer friends.

I asked about this a couple weeks ago, here, if you want ideas for cash amounts.

If you can't do cash, I received a really nice sheet set for a dorm bed, a towel, & other dorm-ish things. It's hard to know what they've already got, but I had nothing, & it was all greatly appreciated. Dd sleeps on those sheets now, & I still smile to remember the lady who gave them to me. She was a friend of my mom's & had no idea how much I admired her!

What if you are invited to a party with two graduates? One a child of a friend you rarely see and the other you do not know at all. Should we bring a gift for both or just the one we know?

Sorry to hijack.

I think it is accepted and expected that you would only buy a gift for the one who actually invited you.