Menu

H2O damaged Duncan Phyfe

We have very few items of furntiture left from the fire and what we did save is antigue and water damaged. I have an antique Duncan Phyfe buffet and table that is now stained white from water damage and I'm thinking of just painting the whole thing white (shabby chic style) rather than refinishing it, along with the table -probably white.

I also have a cedar wardrobe that is water damaged on the front that needs help. It would look horrible in white I think. Color ideas? thoughts?

Has anyone done this? I feel like it's almost sacriligous but I don't want to spend time re-refinishing one.more.thing. (i"m already doing the teeny tiny square stair rails at the house and my fingers will never be the same).

Your piece might be too damaged, but white rings on furniture can be removed quite well by rubbing the ring with toothpaste. I've also used a paste made of baking soda and water. I think the main thing is to use something that is very mildly abrasive. For a large area, I'd suggest the baking soda rather than toothpaste (probably more cost effective).

Here's a link where a lady used a heated iron to remove white stains. I've never tried that. But it might work for you.

Have you ever refinished antique furniture? I did it for many years while dh was in residency (to supplement his meager income) and it may be just a matter of removing the original finish and putting a new finish on the pieces. If the veneer isn't bubbled, I think I'd try to refinish the pieces.

I hope you can find something that will work without having to paint the pieces - best of luck.

Edited by CynthiaOK

I would look into having it professionally refinished, espcially the Phyfe. You may be able to retain some of its value that way.

:iagree:I'm a big fan of painting furniture, but with antiques of value I believe in maintaining the original finish color.

I would also consider the emotional aspect of this piece. It could be very restorative to have it refinished. If you leave it white will it remind you of the fire for years to come? Having it professionally redone could be a part of the process of returning home.

However, I can also see how keeping it white could be a good reminder of the transformation after the fire. Like a Phoenix.

:iagree:I'm a big fan of painting furniture, but with antiques of value I believe in maintaining the original finish color.

I would also consider the emotional aspect of this piece. It could be very restorative to have it refinished. If you leave it white will it remind you of the fire for years to come? Having it professionally redone could be a part of the process of returning home.

However, I can also see how keeping it white could be a good reminder of the transformation after the fire. Like a Phoenix.

I agree about having it professionally refinished. However, am I so very not into refinsihing furniture. If you cant do it with a sewing machine, I am worthless. :lol:

If you had a fire, wouldn't your insurance be covering the cost of the restoration?

the water damage was done by fire hoses so the whole front of it is white now- though the wood wasn't warped.

I LOVE the buffet- it was from my great aunt, but we are out of money for re-finishing. We still need some basic furniture like couches and kitchen chairs;)

If you wouldn't have painted it pre-fire I wouldn't paint it now. I completely understand wanting everything restored and back to some form of normal but it seems like the best course of action would be to do nothing at this time. Set it aside and wait until you are settled again then look at it objectively. You might decide that you do want to paint it or you might decide that you would really like to see it restored and have renewed energy to tackle the project. If you paint it now there is no going back.