Menu

Saxon Algebra 1/2... have any of you used this?

I have a couple of questions? My 2nd dd is finishing 8/7 now. She is in 7th grade. I think she's on lesson 105 out of 120 and is strugglling. I am very mathy and have explained the topics in many ways so I know it's not Saxon. She has always had her struggles with math. I just don't feel like she's ready for Algebra.

My question is whether Algebra 1/2 is basically the same as 8/7. Does it cover more? If it's basically the same book I would rather just start next year half way through (or wherever she tests into) the Saxon 8/7 book and then start Algebra when she's good and ready. Thanks so much for your help. Angela

IMO, the 8/7 book has more "problem solving" or "thinking" math. There is more explanation for the student, and they include the mental math. I've done both, and I like 8/7 better. I think they cover about the same material. I was told you could move from 8/7 into Algebra 1. Just my two cents:)

Kristi

I would call Saxon and speak with an adviser there. You're into the hardest lessons in the book right now. If she's struggling, I'd probably be inclined to finish up as best we could, and then do the Algebra 1/2 next year. I didn't use it, we did the 8/7, but I would have if she needed more review before algebra. Even if it is basically the same, this allows her to approach the material in a slightly different format, and it gives her the sense of accomplishment of moving forward. Just my thoughts.

Generally, students don't do both Math 87 and Alg. 1/2. Also, it is usually recommended that if a student is doing poorly in a book that he start back at the beginning of that same book and do it over. Because of her age, it wouldn't hurt for her to do that.

If your daughter is struggling with 8/7 and you still desire to stay with Saxon, then working Algebra 1/2 would be a good idea. While Algebra 1/2 contains similar material/concepts it is taught differently and at a slightly higher level. Saxon has 2 books at this level just for situations like yours (not really that uncommon!).

The other option would be to switch to a more traditional text. This is the option I chose when my daughter started struggling with 8/7. In our case my daughter had done well with Saxon from grade 3 on. 8/7 was a different story. It became evident that my daughter had too many holes in her mathematical logic-- because of the incremental approach, these holes SNOWBALLED... going back and restarting the text only FRUSTRATED her more. It was a HARD decision to make because I had been teaching Saxon at the high school level for many years--and I LIKED the program...

In reality, my daughter's learning style was NOT compatible with the incremental approach of Saxon--and switching was the BEST option for her. DD switched to Lial's Basic College Math and it was like a breath of fresh air! She continued on to Lial's Introductory Algebra and then Intermediate Algebra (Algebra 1 and Algebra 2). She needed to see the 'whole' picture of the concept in order to learn the 'hows and whys' (mathematical reasoning/logic).

She has never been mathy. She's an artist! She usually does fairly well on the tests but the last 20 lessons have been tough. She just isn't getting it.

I'm not sure what I will do yet. I think I'll try to find the 1/2 book and some other texts at a used book store so I can preview them. Angela