Menu

I'm overwhelmed by the selection in science kits

plain jane

I know this is supposed to be fun- the shopping, the looking around and comparing, the buying, and finally, the having the big boxes shipped to your house!! :D

But, I'm completely overwhelmed and have been for quite some time.

There seems to be SO many science kits out there and I don't know which to choose or how to choose between them. :(

I've looked at:

Great Science Adventures

GEMS

DELTA Science

Science Excursion

Thames and Kosmos

various kits on homesciencetools.com

Young Scientists kits

Ugh! Somebody help me make a decision. I'm looking for physics kits (anything related to physical science, not any one aspect in particular).

How do you decide?

Details, we need details! How old are your kids? What subjects are you looking for? What have you tried before?

Grade 4. I'm looking for all aspects of physical science- anything to do with Physics basically. :D

I haven't bought complete kits before. This year we used RSO Chem and I got the lab supplies together myself. The year before we did Apologia and again I pulled together all the supplies myself. We did use some Young Scientist kits in gr1 to go with NOEO but not many.

I would be okay with pulling together my own materials but since I can't find a spine for Physics that I love, I'm going thinking of building my lesson plans (and reading) for the year around the experiment kits I buy.

I've used the Nutshells (Delta) and the Young Scientist kits. The Nutshells have essentially everything you need in the kit (a huge plus) and the materials are generally reasonably high quality. The downside is that the instructions are not always as helpful as they could be and there is no teacher's guide to give expected outcomes or answers. They are very much discovery oriented and not interested in correct answers.

The Young Scientists kits drove me nuts. We used them six years ago and at that time they did not contain everything you needed and the materials were of poor quality. Many times things that were very necessary were broken or misshapen. On the bright side, the instructions were fairly good, though they did tend to dumb things down to the point of being incorrect more frequently than I would like.

I've had pretty good luck with kits from Home Science Tools, though I would prefer to use secular materials.

Have you looked at elemental science? I haven't looked at the physics course yet, but I've looked at the biology and Intro to Science for K (which we are planning to use this year) and really like the look of them.

It would be a spine, and you would have to get extra stuff, but it seems like a great program. It has experiments, extra readings, narrations, vocabulary, etc.

http://www.elementalscience.com/physics.html

Have you ever seen these:

http://www.academyofscienceforkids.com/kits/index.php

She has different physics kits available. These are wonderful because they come with everything you need, they have great experiments and are fun to use. My kids love them!

:lol::lol: Yes, these were the kits that finally set me over the edge :willy_nilly: I simply can't handle making this kind of decision. It seems like most people on this board have used none, or only one so it's hard to get a direct comparison. And rightfully so.. they're all fairly pricey so I wouldn't expect people have tried many different ones.

Oy. Eeny Meeny Miny Mo :rolleyes: