Menu

Phone calls. How early? How late?

I was always taught 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. for phone calls, and I usually follow that unless it is for someone like my MIL (who I know has been up since 5 a.m.) or someone with little ones who may not want a phone call after 8 p.m. to wake them up.

I don't call anyone before 9:00 AM or after 9:00 PM unless I know them really well and know that they'll be up.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
What are your boundaries for phone calls?

Pretty tight, I'd say. :lol:

Not before 9 am and not after 8 pm (because when I'm putting the kids down, I really can't talk and after that, it's too late). Also, I think it's terribly rude to call people during the dinner hour (I understand that differs for everyone but it does irk me that everyone knows we eat dinner at 6 pm and we get calls at 5:55 or 6:10 wanting to shoot the bull. Seriously?!)

The rest of the day, I have no problem letting the answering machine get calls at inconvenient times (in the middle of a kiddo meltdown, halfway through our poetry tea, when I've literally just stepped out of the shower). DH thinks it's rude but I think it's why I own an answering machine in the first place. :tongue_smilie:

It may have gone too far though. Today dd and ds4 were playing with the pretend phones. DS4 called and called and called dd and finally she just turned to him and said, "It's not a good time. I'm going to let the machine get it." :blush:

For somebody I don't know, I try to phone after 9am and before 9pm or even 8.30pm if possible. There are one or two people I would be fine phoning at 10pm or later, because I know them and I know they will be up and willing to answer the phone, and similarly one or two people I'd phone early in the day if I needed to catch them before they left for work.

9am to 9pm for me. Dh gives his clients permission to phone after 8am.

Not that I like phone calls. Much. At all. I am starting a business and the phone is ringing. A lot. I take a deep breath and pick it up. Or I ask dd to field it for me and take a message.

Although I don't follow any particular "rules" per se, I wouldn't call someone before 9 am or after 8 pm. Exceptions would be my mom, sister and bff.

Dh's phone, however can ring anywhere from 5 am - 11 pm. I'm growing to dislike his ringtone, I tell ya!