Menu

Does anyone just use MEP

kwickimom

We used MEP alone for several months. We started off with Rightstart and MEP, but then DD got incredibly frustrated with RS, so we started going very, very slowly, then quit it entirely for several months and just used MEP. We've recently reintroduced RS, but I'd say MEP is absolutely fine on its own. The lessons are interesting, challenging, fun, and thorough. Even better, they seem to accomplish all that without frustrating my very easily frustrated DD. (You don't know her, but that says a LOT. lol) Some of the puzzles and things are a little over her head now and then, but I explain them, she thinks they're cool and we move on. The only reason we want to use two programs is because there are so, so many good ones and I want to make sure my DD has a better math foundation than I had. If mine was more solid, I probably wouldn't worry about that and would do MEP alone once we finished the first level of RS (since I don't want the fortune I spent on RS to go to waste).

I started out using MEP in conjunction with Miquon with DD the Younger, but am now using MEP almost exclusively. There is one exception: we use Right Start Math games instead of the math fact question and answer in the MEP Lesson plans because we have a classroom size of one, and the RS games are a little more engaging in that context. :)

The program is rigorous, complete and perfectly OK to use on its own.