Menu

Can you buy insects for a collection?

mollies73

I'm wanting my 12 year old son to do an insect collection over the summer. The problem is, he cries at the thought of killing any living thing. I'm no help because I feel the same way.:tongue_smilie: Anyway, I feel as though the point of the project is to be able to identify insects and group them appropriately. So is there any company that sells a box of dead/dried insects that a child can mount and identify?

What about a photo insect collection? We have done quite a few scavenger hunts where I hand my kids a camera and tell me to go find it, leave it undisturbed, and bring me back some great pictures. They love it and it leaves things like plants intact, and insects alive (spiders and webs are usually my favorites to send them hunting for, but we have done things like toads, salamandars and insects).

What about a photo insect collection? We have done quite a few scavenger hunts where I hand my kids a camera and tell me to go find it' date=' leave it undisturbed, and bring me back some great pictures. They love it and it leaves things like plants intact, and insects alive (spiders and webs are usually my favorites to send them hunting for, but we have done things like toads, salamandars and insects).[/quote']

This is our backup plan. We tried to take several pictures, but they just aren't great. I can see that it will be difficult to identify them without having them in hand. Perhaps I need a new camera.

This is what I've done in the past....photocopy good diagrams of different insects from your insect guide. Then when you see that insect for real in the wild, cut it out of your photocopy and pin it in the appropriate manner in your insect case.

This digital magnifer works great! It hooks into a computer so you'd have to bring the insects in to photograph before releasing.

http://www.amazon.com/Carson-Digital-Microscope-Optical-Safari/dp/B001GIDW2S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1275439895&sr=8-2

Here's a youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Ij8URBdZA

This is a great little gadget! My kids would love it.

This is what I've done in the past....photocopy good diagrams of different insects from your insect guide. Then when you see that insect for real in the wild, cut it out of your photocopy and pin it in the appropriate manner in your insect case.

Good idea.

When photographing insects' date=' remember, if your camera has it, to set it to macro (usually it's a little flower icon), the pics should come out much clearer if you do, also if you have a camera that has a bit of a delay, set it to sports setting and it snaps the pic much faster.[/quote']

I've always wondered what that little flower is. We'll try it. Thanks.