Menu

Aaarrgghhh!

momto2Cs

I searched for weeks for Oak Meadow 4 at a good price for my ds. Finally find it, get it, spent the last three days looking through it with him, and he doesn't like it. He loves the art integrated into everything, but...

"But Mommy, there is a lot of writing, and I don't like writing. I thought we were just going to do nature journals, and that's not in here. And what happened to that other writing thingy you showed me? Can't I do that one? And I want to learn about knights and castles!"

So, what do YOU do when your child really doesn't care for what you've chosen? At least I have until mid August to figure this one out!

Well....to be honest I never really give mine a choice. I must be a meanie. ;)

I have had curriculum that we weren't crazy about but if I see value in it then I have them continue through it. The only time I will reconsider a curriculum choice is if it is a bad match for their ability (grade level etc). Mine don't like to write either but I wouldn't base changing a choice on that alone. I have had some curriculum that included a lot of IMO pointless busywork writing and at that point I'll tweek it. Maybe do less of the writing or maybe different types of writing instead of the assigned. I personally wouldn't want to get in a habit of getting kid approval of curriculum choices. Some things just aren't going to be fun. HTH

Is there any reason you have to follow it ALL, to the page? Could you cut down on the writing, substitute your nature journal for part of it, adjust the writing assignments to his interests and stamina?

How would he responded to typing his answers on the computer? My 10-yo HATES the physical mechanics of writing, but she likes typing. Sometimes I act as her scribe, I let her answer orally, or I give her my iPhone to record her answers. Maybe one of those options would make OM more attractive to him?

I searched for weeks for Oak Meadow 4 at a good price for my ds. Finally find it, get it, spent the last three days looking through it with him, and he doesn't like it. He loves the art integrated into everything, but...

"But Mommy, there is a lot of writing, and I don't like writing. I thought we were just going to do nature journals, and that's not in here. And what happened to that other writing thingy you showed me? Can't I do that one? And I want to learn about knights and castles!"

So, what do YOU do when your child really doesn't care for what you've chosen? At least I have until mid August to figure this one out!

I do ask dd's opinion in general. I make a final decision based on what she wants and what I know works for her. They often don't match up, but after the year I spent over $200 on science, going against my gut because she fell in love with the program, then did not like it at all, I now follow my gut.

Heather

I normally don't include my younger kids in ANY purchasing type decisions. Actual curricula choices don't usually begin until high school level courses and then based on topic, not text.

I definitely select child appropriate books, though. I know my kids and how they learn and what appeals to them and I try to make selections that work with both their strengths and their weaknesses.

The one exception to this approach is for my rising 6th grader. She is advanced and she has been working on a much higher grade level than necessary for the last 2-3 yrs. I can sense a little burn-out, so I want this coming yr to be fun for her. I had thought LLfLOTR would meet that criteria, but she really didn't want to do it. So, I opted for Further Up, Further In (based on Narnia) instead.

I would make the decision that you fits both of your needs. (FWIW.....I definitely take my teaching limits into account. A hands on, messy, gooey, zillion field trips approach is NOT going to happen here.) If you can make OM work and still include some knights and castles :D, go for it. You also do not need to make him do all the writing assignments. You are in control of it.....it does not dictate what you need to do!! ;)

Is there any reason you have to follow it ALL, to the page? Could you cut down on the writing, substitute your nature journal for part of it, adjust the writing assignments to his interests and stamina?

:iagree:TA, this is what I would do.

I do ask dd's opinion in general. I make a final decision based on what she wants and what I know works for her. They often don't match up, but after the year I spent over $200 on science, going against my gut because she fell in love with the program, then did not like it at all, I now follow my gut.

Heather

:iagree:Let them have a choice, but within reason.

Guest momk2000

I have a dd entering 4th grade and struggled over this same decision. I fell in love with OM, wanted to use it soooo bad with dd next year, but I know she doesn't like to do a lot of writing. I came so close to buying it for her, but had to stop myself.

I agree with what was posted about adjusting it to your own needs though. From what I have read about OM, you don't have to follow the curriculum exactly, you can easily make it your own. I just chickened out - I really love the look of OM.

Hmmmmm...I had to have this talk with my 3rd grader a couple of weeks ago... This is the point where you've gotta step up to the plate. 4th grade is getting ready for middle school. Just because something looks very difficult and overwhelming doesn't mean you can't grab it by the horns. :D I also downloaded a list of grade-level expectations from a ps website and read them to her. I told her if she were going to ps, this is what they would expect her to be able to do. When I explain expectations to her, she usually does her best and stops any complaining.

I'm saying this because I understand the "This is just sooooo hard, Mom. I can't do this" concept.

I haven't decided what to do let. Options I am considering include:

Cutting down the amount of writing

Substituting in other projects

Selling OM 4 and going back to my plan B (more CM)

I am not letting him make the final decision, but I do feel that his willingness to do a program is very important. I don't want to spend my days forcing him to do work. And yes, I do think he is capable of doing more than he thinks as well!

I think in some ways it would be easier to blend some of the Waldorf/OM stuff he likes into my plan B than it would be to blend the Middle Ages, etc. into OM! Back to the drawing board - at least I have until mid August to figure this out!

Thanks ladies, for being my sounding board!